This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is Toolset still being actively developed?

Is Toolset still being actively developed?

Parents Reply Children
  • In upcoming weeks, you will see an update to the WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON FOR TOOLSET (UPDATED ON OCTOBER 20, 2016). Please stay tuned!

Perhaps the new features may become a monthly mission for an Upcoming month?

[ideas brewing] Hmmm... maybe an "advent calendar" where each day in December (well, 15 days -- 5 days per week for 1st 3 weeks), we learn about a new feature of the revised Engineer's Toolset?

Can you give me some more details here? I'd like to look into your compatibility issues here.

It has been a couple months (was in July) since I attempted to do anything with it. I will try again and post here.

• Funny that the link in ding​'s e-mail came out different when I quoted her comment.  I checked, the doc number is the same DOC-188116.

odd.

• I'll believe it when I see it, it's now been almost 2 years since an upgrade of Toolsets and its really showing its age.

You've got a lot of convincing to do for us to carry on paying for support for Toolsets and this comes up for renewal in March and after having no upgrade for 2 years by March we're not going to be prepared to pay for support again on the promise of a major upgrade just round the corner.

• Hi All -- I don't know if you noticed or not, but in December 2018, there was an update to Solarwinds Toolset. It is now compatible with Server 2016.

Previously, we had upgraded our Solarwinds Servers from 2008 to 2016 in order to upgrade to Orion version 12. Once we did that, I could not get SW-ET to reinstall. As of the recent release, it does install and work on Windows Server 2016. I have not checked the tools to see if there are updates to the tools. From the version number, it seems as if it was a minor release.

• That's hardly an upgrade to allow Windows 2016 to work there's still been no functionality or GUI updates and still nothing from the PM on what's up and coming and when we're likely to see it.

To me its shocking to leave customers hanging with no direction for the product being announced particularly when the main product suite ie Orion, NPM, NCM etc have just had its first upgrade for the year and they'll probably be at least one more by year end and still nothing on Toolsets.

I don't know why Solarwinds don't just come out and say the product is not longer being actively developed.

• That is a good point jonchill​.

ding​ -- back in October of last year, you said

ding​ wrote:

Hey all, yes we are! In upcoming weeks, you will see an update to the Engineer's Toolset Roadmap. Please stay tuned!

So -- it is now 8 months and a week after you said there would be an update in upcoming week. Was the update released? If so, could you please post what the update was?

Or, could you please clarify what you mean by "upcoming weeks?"

-- A year can be measures in hours, but when someone says, "it will be ready in a matter of hours," we expect it will take less than a day, let alone a year. So, when you say "upcoming weeks", what time frame is that phrase supposed to evoke in us?

Thanks for you attention to this, Eric

• You are absolutely right ebradford, I should not have committed to a date. And we typically don't provide time frames for this very reason. I have since passed the ETS torch to another PM so what I can say as far as roadmap is limited here.

• Thanks ding​ -- who is the new PM?

• What I don't get is if Toolsets was being actively developed they'd be more up front about the roadmap, all the other Solarwinds products once there's been a new release, the what were working on next is usually updated within weeks.

I personally think they can't make up their minds as Toolsets crosses over a number of Solarwinds product lines and like they did with NCM remove functionality and put it in UDT they're seeing how best they can monetise the tools and moving them direct to the various product lines would certainly do that for customers that don't own licenses for everything.

• Hi Jon jonchill​. I know this is somewhat tangential to the topic... could you please tell me what functions of NCM that NCM had, but does no longer, which UDT has now instead? I happened to install UDT on a demo license about a week ago.