Problem creating a Linux 'service' to handle startup

I'm really enjoying running DPA on Linux, but the main thing I was missing was a 'service' that starts and stops the DPA service.

For this instance, I'm running DPA 2021.1.889 on Rocky Linux 8.4. Rocky behaves nearly identically to CentOS (which is very similar to Red Hat).

I created a new /etc/systemd/system/dpa.service file with the following contents:

[Unit]
Description=Database Performance Analyzer (DPA)
After=network.target
StartLimitIntervalSec=0

[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
User=root
ExecStart=sh /var/opt/solarwinds/dpa_2021_1_889/startup.sh
ExecStop=sh /var/opt/solarwinds/dpa_2021_1_889/shutdown.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=mulit-user.target

This 'service' file should allow me to use systemctl start|enable|status|stop dpa like a 'regular' Linux service.

However, this doesn't really work for me.  I send the calls and the service never starts.  If I execute the script "traditionally" it starts fine.

I'm missing something here and it's outside my knowledge.  I'm asking the smarter Linux people here for help.

Thanks THWCKsters.

Parents
  • Coming in very late here, but just in the process of setting up a new RHEL8 server for DPA, hopefully this will help someone.

DPA 2021.3.7445 on RHEL8

Created file dpa.service in /lib/systemd/system:

[Unit]
    	Description=Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA)
    	After=network.target
    	StartLimitIntervalSec=0

[Service]
    	Type=forking
    	Restart=always
    	RestartSec=30
    	User=xxxxx
    	ExecStart=[install path]/dpa_2021_3_7445/startup.sh
    	ExecStop=[install path]/dpa_2021_3_7445/shutdown.sh

[Install]
    	WantedBy=multi-user.target

For SELinux - the start and stop scripts SELinux default security label should be usr_t or it will not run under systemctl:

/sbin/restorecon -v [install path]/dpa_2021_3_7445/startup.sh
    /sbin/restorecon -v [install path]/dpa_2021_3_7445/shutdown.sh

chmod o+r dpa.service

systemctl daemon-reload
    systemctl enable dpa.service

systemctl start dpa.service
    systemctl status dpa.service

• Choosing a software development company requires trust and collaboration https://mlsdev.com/blog/web-development-companies. The team should understand the role of the PM/Scrum Master and the roles of the other members. The developers should be able to communicate and collaborate effectively. It is vital to choose the right partner. Some developers are better than others. Having a good relationship with your developer is essential to a successful project. In order to achieve success, the right team will be able to work efficiently together.

• Choosing a software development company requires trust and collaboration https://mlsdev.com/blog/web-development-companies. The team should understand the role of the PM/Scrum Master and the roles of the other members. The developers should be able to communicate and collaborate effectively. It is vital to choose the right partner. Some developers are better than others. Having a good relationship with your developer is essential to a successful project. In order to achieve success, the right team will be able to work efficiently together.

Children
No Data