This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Damware Remote on Windows PE?

Note: This is a topic brought over from DameWare Forums which has been closed. If you wish to engage in this discussion, just comment here.

Damware Remote on Windows PE?
by guy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 am

Hello,
Over the last few days I have been trying to get Windows PE to run Dameware.
What I have done is install the client onto a base PC, copy off the drivers I think are required (below) copying them to PE in X:\Windows\System32\ and then started DWRCS.exe - install /-service.

DWRCK.dll
DWRCS.exe
DWRCSET.dll
DWRCSI.dll
DWRCST.exe

I can ping the PC with PE (firewall switched off on both computers) and it authenticates and it even tells me the keyboard set is in a different language but it then gets stuck on "initializing desktop, please wait"

Can anyone help me? I'm using Windows PE 3 with all packages installed WMI etc. 

Many Thanks!

Re: Damware Remote on Windows PE?
by guy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

Bump...
Anyone have any ideas at all?

by dcolpitts on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 am

You didn't make mention of whether you are using x86 or x64 of WinPE... As of 6.8.1.4, the Dameware client was 32 bit only, so it wouldn't work with the x64 builds of WinPE. You may want to have a look at my posting here: http://forums.dameware.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=469

Also, since my last posting there, I found a somewhat simplier way to do things. Use the "DameWare Mini Remote Package Builder" to build an MSI, including configuration for Proprietary Challenge/Response, then extract that resulting .MSI with 7-Zip, and then within there, you will find a Cabs.dwrcs.cab. Extract that to your WinPE's \windows\system32 folder. That contains everything you need to run the client. Lastly, you will need to add a line to run "\windows\system32\DWRCS.EXE -install" within WPEINIT.

And just to be perfectly clear, I have not tried what I suggested above yet with WinPE 3, but I believe it should work.

dcc

by rotot on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am

mmm...thanks for info

by guy on Tue May 11, 2010 11:31 am

Sorry I was not clear and the delay.
my WinPE is currently 32bit.
I will test the install and let you know.

by guy on Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for your help so far!

Ok so I've done the follows:
Made a Windows Vista (32-bit) MSI with proprietary challenge/responce
Build the MSI
Extracted the MSI
Extracted Cabs.dwrcs.cab
Copyed the files: DWRCK.dll,DWRCS.exe,dwrcs.ini,DWRCSET.dll ,DWRCSh32.dlx,DWRCSh64.dlx,DWRCSI.dll,DWRCST.exe to X:\Windows\System32\ (X: being the standard drive letter PE sets)
Launched "X:\windows\system32\DWRCS.EXE -install"
It connects to the point saying Initalzing Desktop. Please wait...." and thats it nothing more I have turned off the mirror driver as well.

Any Ideas

by dcolpitts on Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Not right off... I just tested it and get the same result you do. I fear you may SOL unless someone from Dameware wishes to point us in the correct direction.

dcc

by guy on Wed May 12, 2010 4:48 am

Thanks for that...
At least I know I'm not being stupid now if someone else can replicate the issue I have.
It's as shame as I'm sure it's something fairly simple to fix as it's -almost- working....
Anyone from Dameware - Are you reading ?

by guy on Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 am
Just to update further.... It seems that becuase Dameware required Terminal Services this will never work....
PE is just too stripped down to allow anything like this to work 
I guess it's time to look at an open source application for PE.... 

by dcolpitts on Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am

I'm not sure that is the issue... My BartPE (with Sherypa's XPE based on Windows 2003 SP1) works fine with Dameware, and it does not have RDP support in it.

by guy on Thu May 13, 2010 8:13 am

in your BartPE if you type Net Start do you have Terminal Services running?!

by dcolpitts on Thu May 13, 2010 8:50 am

Nope. These Windows services are started:
Audio Windows
DameWare Mini Remote Control
DCOM Services
DHCP Client
EventLog
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Plug and Play
Protected Storage
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Accounts Manager
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

dcc

by nhelp4k6 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Read both the WAIK documentation (msdn or technet) and the Technet forums; PE stands for Preinstallation Environment - as in completing tasks so that the *full* system can be loaded. If you are interested in a windows "slackware" style session there is a convuluted method of building XPe to CD size. Disadvantages of the XPe method are several, to begin with it's a lot of work for limited (based on your description) payback, targeting tends to be specific to machine hw config, and you need the target designer - last I checked it ran ~$1K.
Better question, why do you want to use dwmrc inside PE/slackware?

by guy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 am

The reason for wanting Dameware in PE is for remote rebuilding/repair.
PCAnywhere has "thin host" which works but it's very expensive and not really helpful as we have Dameware in many places.
The idea is that you boot into PE (remotely) connect into the PC with Dameware start the process you need i.e. A build and off you go.

• As Dameware is not running on Windows PE, why don`t you try using Dameware alternatives like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers, Teamviewer etc. for remotely accessing Windows PR computers? These are easy to use and work well on all platforms.