This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to: Allow automatic Remote Control for non-admin users

In many environments it is not necessary that all IT personnel belongs to the Domain Administrators or Enterprise Administrators group. In fact, there are many places where it is not allowed by security policies. Since DameWare Mini Remote Control relies on Windows authentication to establish an MRC session, it is necessary to set a specific configuration in order to allow non-admin users to have the same Remote Control capabilities as admin users. For that, the MRC Client Agent includes "Access" options that allow you to set just that.

You can configure these settings in the MRC Client Agent in three ways: installing the agent from the DameWare Mini Remote Control interface, creating a custom MSI installer that includes the settings or configuring them remotely on computers that already have the MRC Client Agent.

1. Installing a custom agent:

- Launch DameWare Mini Remote Control

- Go to: File > Install Service...

- Click on "Configure..."

or

- Launch DameWare Mini Remote Control

- Press ALT + I

step1.JPG

2. Creating a custom MSI installer for the agent:

- Go to: Start > Programs > SolarWinds > DameWare Mini Remote Control 9.0 > DameWare Mini Remote Control Client Agent  MSI builder.

- Click on the "Client Agent" button

step2.JPG

step3.JPG

3. On the remote machine:

- Right-click on the MRC Client Agent tray icon

- Select "Settings..." on the context menu.

step4.JPG

All of the above will take you to the agent's properties. Once there open the "Access" tab. Here, do the following:

a. Disable "Permission required for these account types": this will allow non-administrator to start and MRC session without permission from the end-user

b. Disable "View Only for these account types": this will grant remote control to non-administrator accounts.

step5.JPG

emoticons_info.png NOTE: "Disconnect if at the Logon Desktop" causes non-admin users to be disconnected if no active session is available on the remote system. You will want to keep this enabled if the IT agents are only allowed to connect remotely to assist end-users.

Parents
  • I just fixed the problem I posted here above. I had to add my MiniRemote Control user to the Administrators group on the remote client machine and I was able to connect. Glad this is solved. Hope this helps someone else.

Steve

• I just fixed the problem I posted here above. I had to add my MiniRemote Control user to the Administrators group on the remote client machine and I was able to connect. Glad this is solved. Hope this helps someone else.

Steve

Children
No Data