This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Mini Remote causing desktop settings to change for user

We have recently started using Dameware and Mini Remote.  When I use  Mini Remote to connect to a users pc I'm finding that it changes their desktop display settings. These changes are tied to mini remote because they were reported within a minute of me connecting to their pc for the first time.  And, it was reported by users in the order in which I connected to their pc's.   One right after the other.   I'm aware of two specific changes:   the color scheme changes (minor in the big picture but it's the little things that keep them happy), the task bar for example was a deep blue now it's a muted gray color.    The biggest complaint is that the windows preview when you mouse over an application icon in the task bar changes from window previews to a list.   Previously, if you had multiple word documents open and had it set to not combined icons it would show one Word icon in the task bar.  If you would mouse over the Word icon it would pop up little windows for each document you had open and as you mouse over each window preview it would temporarily display that document maximized on the screen.  Now, it only pops up a list, that's in, no interactive preview or anything.

With my previous employer I used mini remote extensively and did not see this happen.  Please help, my name is mud with several users because of this.

Your insight and expertise is appreciated.

Joatta Sayles

Parents
  • We had a pretty similar situation, caused by DWMRC 11.2. This problem is solved in Hotfix 1, which addresses "The Mirror Driver is not disabled after disconnect (Aero issue)". We had to manually uninstall the Mirror Driver from the Device Manager on the remote machines.

• We had a pretty similar situation, caused by DWMRC 11.2. This problem is solved in Hotfix 1, which addresses "The Mirror Driver is not disabled after disconnect (Aero issue)". We had to manually uninstall the Mirror Driver from the Device Manager on the remote machines.

Children
  • Thanks so much, this is a good work around.

• Can someone tell me how to locate the hotfix for this issue, so that it doesn't continue to occur.  The work-around is great, but I am looking for a more permanent fix. 

• It is well hidden, now even more than it was a couple of months ago. I have implemented the hotfix by us, and it works. We no longer have to uninstall the Mirror driver manually from the clients.

To get the hotfix

1) Log in to the Solarwinds' CustomerPortal

2) License Management | Hotfixes | Archive

Or: by Direct link: http://downloads.solarwinds.com/solarwinds/Release/HotFix/DameWare-v11.2.0-HotFix1.zip

I actually had to submit a serviceticket to find and install the hotfix my self, and got this answer:

Dameware Mini Remote Control v11.2 HotFix 1
    =============================================
    This HotFix addresses the following issues:
    * Mirror driver option causes XP to reboot
    * Mirror Driver is not disabled after disconnect (Aero issue)
    * Excessive Event 109 events

To deploy the HotFix please follow the installation instructions in the included Readme file.

In case the Step 1 from the readme is not very clear, then please follow the below instructions:
    STEP 1. Update the DameWare Mini Remote Control application on the technician machine
    ======================================================================
    For Windows 32bit OS:
    copy the content of the 'win32/' folder to your installation directory
    (usually C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\DameWare ...\ )

For Windows 64bit OS:
    If you have DRS/MRC 32bit installed:
    copy the content of the 'win32/' folder to your installation directory
    (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\DameWare ...\ )

If you have DRS/MRC 64bit installed:
    copy the content of the 'x64/' folder to your installation directory
    (usually C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\DameWare ...\ )
    ======================================================================