One of requested features we hear from you is support for bar code scanning. There are various use-cases for such feature like those listed below. There are various solutions available for bar-code scanner, but which one you prefer?
- Asset Inventory (update location of asset, owner or audit date in WHD). User walks around office and scans devices to update their location, audit date or other parameters. Identify moved assets or missing assets.
- Scan asset's bar code to create a new ticket for that asset
- Scan asset's bar code to find out more about device like history of tickets or asset parameters
- Scan the barcode (e.g. serial number) for in-coming assets to matched with the PO (and found who requested it) and to record them into inventory
- Easy Check-in & Check-out for reservations
- Re-assign assets easily (e.g. person brings me asset, I scan it to clear the assigned user, I scan a replacement laptop and specify which user I’m giving it to)
- Generate a QR code for the person. Print on the back of our ID Badges. When an employee parts with the company, or when the teachers go home for the summer, I can scan the QR and see a page of assets that should be returned
There is a separate poll, where you can vote for importance of these use-cases for you: WHD: Bar code scanning use-cases - what are your priorities? Go and vote!
Considering different existing options for bar-code scanner, do you have any preference? What is your situation?
Is there an option missing in the list? Please put it into comments.
Do you have solution already? Please let us know what vendor and how are you using it.
Do you have an opinion on this feature? Please let us know in comment!
PS. Here are few feature requests related to bar code scanning: