Any ideas on this type of issue?
I have the same issue.. Any luck solving this??
I tried a lot of things, and got it to work.
The client I was using has the Dameware miniremote control agent installed. That's normal, it is used Inside the organisation as well as outside.
So I tried disabling the dwmrcs service, so it forced it to download the Dameware Internet Session agent; that works.
So it is the mini remote control agent that is broken it seems… (I was v184.108.40.20602 then upgraded to 220.127.116.11)
Same here since had Dameware remote support. Gone through the proper channels as well and spoke to the support team on the phone, they are as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Let's wait and hope that someone without a script under their nose will ever read this post and help us out.