We have just moved to Casper 9. There have been some changes in the database fields with the upgrade so it would appear that the Web Help Desk discovery tool no longer works.
This is one of the most important features to us in Web Help Desk. It is one of the main reasons that we chose the product over any other. I would think that most of the Casper
community will move to version 9. There are just to many important new features to not upgrade. We were in fact very late upgrading to 9. Since really just some field names have
changed in the database I can't really see that this would be that hard to implement.
We have used the Casper Discovery Tool for many years and it has worked great. The rest Web Help Desk works great for us.