Here's a paper to help you understand how IP SLA works and how to deploy the technology while minimizing the load on IP SLA devices and the network as a whole. IP SLA is a Cisco IOS feature included in almost all IOS so you might as well put it to work! IP SLA lets you -
- Measure network services like FTP, DNS and DHCP from anywhere an IOS device exists.
- Measure the quality of real-time services such as VoIP or Video.
- Check the reachability of a specific URL from anywhere on your network
- Manage WAN quality across all your WAN links
- Export the results to your NMS from the device RTTMON MIB
And it's just plain cool!!