You don't need to convert anything or install any software.
1. Create new map
2. Browse to www.weather.com & select the "Image" you wish to use
3. <Right-click> image and select <Copy>
4. In MapMaker, <Right-Click> on map and select <Paste Special>
5. Select "Use the Image from the Clipboard as the Map Background", Save Map and remember <MapName>
6. The newly created background is now saved in "C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\Maps\mapname.gif"
7. Edit VB script "GetMapImage.vbs" for proper Source and Destination strings. Like;
- sSource = "http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_radar_plus_usen.jpg"
- sDest = "C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\Maps\mapname.gif"
8. Using Windows Task Scheduler, schedule the "GetMapImage.vbs" to run every 30min
- [Scheduled Task / Properties / Schedule Tab / Advanced Button]: Every 30 minute(s) from 12:30 AM for 23 hour(s) every day
- [Settings Tab]: Enable the option "Stop the task if it runs for 15 minute(s)"