Upgrade Orion Platform
With SolarWinds, you can upgrade your IT management to:
- Increase your license size to monitor more devices and applications.
- Add more Orion Platform products to monitor different aspects of your network.
- Get the latest version of your Orion Platform product.
- Release notes - check out new features and bug fixes.
- Online demo - see the features live.
- THWACK - read about users' experiences.
- Are you running multiple Orion Platform products? Check the upgrade path using the Product Upgrade Advisor.
- For each Orion Platform product, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Polling engine requirements. If you deployed an Additional Polling Engine, check out Additional Polling Engine server requirements.
- Database server requirements.
- Additional web server requirements.
- Make sure you have:
- Access to and administrator privileges for all servers.
- All necessary credentials (such as SQL account credentials), IP addresses, and port numbers.
- Your SolarWinds Customer Portal credentials.
Before you begin
- Schedule a maintenance window after business hours for the upgrade. Polling engines must be shut down during the upgrade, and you may lose some polling data.
- Back up your SolarWinds Orion Database using SQL Server Management Studio. For more information, search for “back up a database” on the Microsoft TechNet web portal at https://technet.microsoft.com and consult the help for the appropriate SQL Server Management Studio version.
- If you want to retain a discovery profile, externally record the profiles.
- Download the upgrade files for each module from the Customer Portal.
- Log in to the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
- In the License Management menu, click My Downloads.
- Download the upgrade.
- Copy the upgrade files to the servers (main polling engine, additional polling engines, additional web servers).
- Inform users who may be affected by the upgrade.
- Log in to the server, and start the Orion Service Manager in the SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features program folder.
- Click Shutdown Everything.
- Please mute the alerts for all nodes to avoid such unnecessary Incidents.
- Upgrade the main polling engine.
- Run the Configuration Wizard. If the Configuration Wizard has not loaded automatically, start the Configuration Wizard in the SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery program folder.
- Upgrade all additional polling engines.
- Run the Configuration Wizard.
- Upgrade web servers.
- Run the Web-Only installer, and complete the upgrade.
- Run the Configuration Wizard.
- Start the Orion Service Manager.
- Click Start Everything.
You have now upgraded your Orion Platform product.
Backup plan for below servers:
Additional Polling engine
We have following existing & New versions:
- Orion Platform 2017.1.3 SP3,
- From UDT 3.2.4 to Latest version: 3.3.0
- From VNQM 4.4.0 to Latest version: 4.4.1
- From SRM 6.4.0 to Latest version: 6.4.0 -
- From WPM 2.2.1 to Latest version: 2.2.1 - New version has not been released yet.
- From DPAIM 11.0.0 to Latest version: 11.1
- From NPM 12.1 to Latest version: 12.2.0
- From VIM 7.1.0 to Latest version: 8.1.0
- NetPath 1.1.0 - It should be upgraded in NPM Installation
- QoE 2.3 - It should be upgraded in NPM Installation
- CloudMonitoring 1.0.0 - It should be upgraded in NPM Installation
- From SAM 6.4.0 to Latest version: 6.5.0
- From NTA 4.2.2 to Latest version: 4.2.3