I just wanted to share this because it's an easy solution that could've caused quite a problem based on some of the other fixes I saw that had this same error. I installed NPM without issues however when I ran the config wizard it failed and threw the error in the screen shot. I saw a few other posts where people had this issue but based on their resolutions it didn't seem like that was my problem. I realized that the SQL host name had a - in the name. Once the SQL system was renamed to remove any special characters I rebooted the server, updated the Engines table to reflect the correct host name, and the wizard completed without error. Could be a gotcha that people waste time on!