Welcome to the VMAN Beta forum and thank you for participating in the Beta program for Virtualization Manager 7.0 (VMAN 7.0). Please post beta feedback here in the Virtualization Manager Beta forum on Thwack.
Your feedback on the beta is key to developing the best version of Virtualization Manager possible. As an added incentive beta users who submit feedback will receive 3,000 Thwack points to buy swag at the Thwack Store. In addition the first 25 users to submit feedback will receive this Rage against the Virtual Machine shirt.
What is included in Beta 1:
- Updated UI Look and Feel - This release updated the SolarWinds Orion Web Console’s user interface, navigation, and notifications.
- Predictive Recommendations - Advanced trending analysis is used to identify workload patterns of your virtual infrastructure to provide strategic recommendations. Based on historical data and trending, recommendations are created for Performance Optimization, Maximum Environment Utilization, and Problem Prevention. Since these recommendations require historical data a minimum of 7 days of data is required.
- Performance Optimization - Recommendations balance the workload of the virtual infrastructure to ensure the best performance is attained. Based on historical trending, VMAN will identify the true work load patterns, and determine where to place VMs. This ensures that all VMs have the necessary resources and that VMs residing on the same host have compatible workloads.
- Maximum Environment Utilization - The goal of these recommendations is to ensure that the resources in the environment are leveraged to their full capacity with no loss to perfromance. Essentially, do more with less!!
- Problem Prevention - These recommendations prevent situations where a lack of resources caused by resource depletion would affect the performance of a VM.
- Real-Time Recommendations - These are tactical recommendations are that are meant to solve an immediate problem. Think of these as alert recommendations, where their sole purpose is to resolve virtualization issues (aka put out an immediate fire) or capacity issues as a result of an alert. Since VMAN does not use historical data to make real-time recommendation it does not take into account future workloads when making the recommendation. Therefore only 30 mins of polling is required for VMAN to generate any necessary Real-Time Recommendations. These recommendations can be identified with a NOW icon preceding the recommendation.
***The beta is not a full feature release and contains a subset of features in order to obtain focused feedback.*** Upgrades for betas are not supported.
Goal of the Beta
While you're using the beta, here's a few questions to get you thinking of feedback that will help us make the product better:
- Is there enough contextual data to understand why a specific recommendation was provided?
- Are the recommendation strategic goals clear?
- Is there enough data for you to trust the recommendation? If not, determine what type of data is missing. If so what was was the best part of the recommendations?
- VMAN may bundle multiple dependent actions into a single recommendation to achieve the strategic goal of getting your virtual infrastructure to a better performance state for the long term. Is this clear?
- Does your environment contain a use case that VMAN recommendations is not addressing? If so what is the use case?
Please also note, you cannot contact Support regarding beta issues. Please post any questions, comments, or issues you encounter to the Virtualization Manager Beta forum and the Product Manager or a member of the development team will work with you directly.