This is mod is basic, but does require the config wizard to be run.
ESTIMATED TIME TO INSTALL/PERFORM MODIFICATION: <15 Minute
- Youngling (Easiest/Most Basic; no coding experience required, no config wizard required, no system restart required, no system downtime.)
- Padawan (Easy/Basic; no coding experience required, possible config wizard required, possible system/services restart required, limited/no downtime.)
- Jedi Knight (Moderately Difficult/Advanced; some coding experience required/recommended, config wizard required, possible system/services restart required, limited/short duration downtime.)
- Jedi Master (Most Difficult/Advanced; advanced coding experience required, config wizard required, system/services restarts required, 30+ minutes downtime/maintenance window recommended, and other things that I do not even know I would need to know, required...)
This custom resource was created using the following SolarWinds version(s):
Orion Platform 2015.1.2, WPM 2.2.0, IPAM 4.3, NPM 11.5.2, QoE 2.0, IVIM 2.1.0
This custom resource only requires the NPM module, and should not require any other module(s). (As far as I know)
This mod does not require you to edit any files, and does NOT replace, overwrite, or make any changes otherwise, to the default system files.
Recently, bardeev asked if there was a way to add an additional grouping level to the "Node Tree" resource, to use more than the 3 default groups. By default, of course, the answer is no. However, with a few modifications here and there, it is not too difficult to manually add a 4th grouping level.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- I have numerous custom modified resources scattered throughout my SolarWinds environment, each one works for me exactly how I need it to work.
- I am a very inexperienced, and untrained, amateur (with the exception being all things Star Wars related, which does you absolutely no good here...)
- Always backup your system/files BEFORE making any changes, and/or test with a demo/dev system before making changes to your production environment.
- Please don't break your system, then blame it on me.
- If you break your system, then blame it on me, please know, "I don't give a care...", "I told you so...", and/or "Nanna nanna boo boo, stick your head in doo doo..." will most likely be my response...
**WARNING! THE INFORMATION YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ COMES FROM THE MIND OF AN UNTRAINED AMATEUR, AND IS MOST LIKELY FAR, FAR FROM THE BEST PRACTICE**
You will need to extract the 7 files listed above, contained in the attached "CustomNodeTree.rar" file, to the proper file/folder locations, also listed above.
After extracting the files to the correct locations, you will need to run the config wizard. You only need to choose "Website" when running the config wizard.
After the config wizard has completed,
you should be able to add the new "Ajax Custom Node Tree" resource to your summary page. (Being the first time to add a resource after running the config wizard, there will be a brief delay to cache some resource data)
Now that the new resource has been added,
you will need to edit the resource, by clicking the "Edit" button in the upper right-hand corner of the resource.
Once on the edit resource page, you should now be able to choose a 4th level to group your nodes with.
After you have chosen your 4 grouping levels, click the "Submit" button to save them and return to the results.
You should now see your "Ajax Custom Node Tree" resource using 4 grouping levels, instead of the default 3 levels.
Again, everyone uses their system(s)/environment(s) differently. While some might want to use fewer grouping levels, other may want more.
Now everyone can be happy... at least for this, very specific, topic.
--If you are interested in customizing, and/or modifying your SolarWinds environment. CourtesyIT has put together a terrific "Page of Pages" (PoP), "List of Links" (LoL), okay, you get the idea... Please visit his page, How to do various customizations with your Solarwinds, and discover a better way to enhance your SolarWinds environment. Make sure to bookmark, like, and rate his page, as it will help you, as well as others after you.