Enabling SNMP access and trap forwarding for AIX
SNMP access and trap forwarding enable SNMP-based managers to poll the managed system and receive its alerts. If System Health Monitoring is installed on the managed system also, hardware alerts can be forwarded as SNMP traps.
- With root authority, open the /etc/snmpdv3.conf file in a text editor.
- Create a community entry for the customized access view. You can create a new community entry or reuse the default community entry, as in the following example:# communityName securityName securityLevel netAddr netMask storageType COMMUNITY myDirector myDirector noAuthNoPriv 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 -
- Define a security group that includes the community you defined. You can create a new group entry or reuse the default group entry, as in the following example:# groupName securityModel securityName storageType VACM_GROUP mygroup_v1 SNMPv1 myDirector – VACM_GROUP mygroup_v2c SNMPv2c myDirector -
Note: The security group name cannot begin with "director_group".
- Define a view entry to include or exclude MIB objects, as in the following example:# viewName viewSubtree viewMask viewType storageType VACM_VIEW director_View internet - included - VACM_VIEW director_View 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199 - included - VACM_VIEW director_View 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.191.1.6 - included - VACM_VIEW director_View 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.159 - included - # exclude snmpv3 related MIBs from the view VACM_VIEW director_View snmpModules - excluded - VACM_VIEW director_View 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4 - included - VACM_VIEW director_View 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.5 - included - # exclude aixmibd managed MIBs from the view VACM_VIEW director_View 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.191 - excluded -
- Create an access entry to authorize the security group to the customized access view, as in the following example:# groupName securityLevel securityModel readView notifyView VACM_ACCESS mygroup_v1 - - noAuthNoPriv SNMPv1 director_View - director_View - VACM_ACCESS mygroup_v2c - - noAuthNoPriv SNMPv2c director_View - director_View -
- To configure SNMP traps, perform steps 7 and 8.Otherwise, go to step 9.
- Specify a target address value for each destination to which IBM® Director will send SNMP traps, as in the following example:# targetAddrName tDomain tAddress tagList targetParams TARGET_ADDRESS Target1 UDP 22.214.171.124 traptag trapparms1 - - -
- Specify a trap community value, as in the following example:# paramsName mpModel securityModel securityName securityLevel storageType TARGET_PARAMETERS trapparms1 SNMPv1 SNMPv1 myDirector noAuthNoPriv -
- Save and close the /etc/snmpdv3.conf file.
- Stop and restart the cimlistener daemon by typing the following commands and pressing Enter after each:/opt/freeware/cimom/pegasus/bin/cimlistener -s /opt/freeware/cimom/pegasus/bin/cimlistener
- Stop and restart the IBM Director AgentX subagent by typing the following commands and pressing Enter after each:/opt/ibm/icc/cimom/bin/icesnmp stop /opt/ibm/icc/cimom/bin/icesnmp start