Most of time i have seen user done everything on the Node to configured SNMP and still have the "TEST FAILED " in Orion
PRE CHECK LIST
- Make sure you have RESTARTED SNMP SERVICE on the node after changing the community string .(IF Required / Applied )
- Make sure you have DISABLED WINDOWS FIREWALL On both Orion and the Windows Node you are trying to add (Target Node ).
- Verify you are able to PING THE NODE from Orion Server and its alive .
- Adding Remote site Node MAKE SURE FIREWALL RULES / NAT IS CONFIGURED TO ALLOW SNMP TRAFFIC could be an issue when the firewall could block the SNMP traffic over the VPN for the remote site or now allowed even pass through / Or not correctly configured for NAT
- Some Firewall required to ENABLE (ICMP / SNMP ) ON INTERFACE LEVEL even you have configured SNMP still Required to Allow on Interface level. (Below is an example from SonicWall Firewall )
DO NOT USE @ SIGN IN SNMP COMMINITY STRING
- Do not use the "@" in snmp community string . for more details please see the post below.
How to verify and Isolate the issue for SNMP (Communication ) Using SNMP Test Orion With Wireshark
- You will need to install Wireshark on Orion Server . Wireshark · Download
- Start capturing data with required filter according to your Node IP.
ip.addr == 192.168.168.253 && udp.port == 161 (Click Apply ) (Please Change the IP address according to your Node )
Now go to Orion page and try to add the Node
Now you have the Test Failed .
Check the Wireshark and Verify the (response from the Node )
Orion Sents 3 Requested and if there is no response received from the Node you will have that Test Failed.
This confirmed that Orion has not received any response back from the Node and "Result" is TRUE as Failure .
What is required to have that Test passed . (See below )
Orion Sent get-request 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.0 in order to determine the SNMP connectivity which responded by the Node with valid Information .
As you can see in Response packet Value should be returned in packet .
Please note this should not be NULL if there no value Returned in packet the Test Will Fail
The SNMP test will also fail if these OID's are not returned:
Now after that if you are not able to discover the interfaces while (List Resources ) please see following post
Any Question please feel free to add.