Index Defrag Script, v4.1 by Michelle Ufford
This is helpful to run against the SolarWinds database as part of your Maintenance Plans on SQL Server
- Defrag a single database, a list of databases, or all databases (@database)
- Time Limitations: stop defragging after the specified amount of time has elapsed (@timeLimit). Please note, it will not kill a defrag that is currently in process, even if it exceeds the threshold.
- Optional stop-and-resume functionality: pick up where your defrag last left off without having to rescan sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats. (@forceRescan)
- Defrag scheduling: choose which days to defrag certain indexes, or exclude certain indexes altogether, by using the dbo.dba_indexDefragExclusion table.
- Defrag priority: choose whether to defrag indexes in ascending or descending order by range_scan_count (default), fragmentation, or page_count.
- Current partition exclusion: choose whether or not to exclude the right-most populated partition from the defrag process, common for sliding-window tables (@excludeMaxPartition)
- Commands-only mode: Choose to just log the current defrag status and print the defrag commands, rather than executing them, by using @executeSQL.
- … and tons more! Please read the parameter list and notes section for details of all the options available.
dba_indexDefrag_sp_v41.txt (48.9 KB)