This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Day 13: Remember

To remember our past, our heritage is important.  By this we understand not only where we come from but where we might be going.   I actively part in genealogy work for my family so that I can help pass along the knowledge to future generations.   It has been a lot of fun working with family learning the stories, remembering old times, good times, and some not so good.

I remember growing up playing baseball.  It was just part of our DNA in the Midwest.  I can remember the awful pictures in the polyester uniforms before I was out of that awkward stage.   I remember the fun I had playing with those guys, through the years, even throughout high school.  I can remember how nice it felt to be part of that team, part of something special, even when we didn’t win every game or every tournament. 

I remember my wedding day, and the joy I felt getting to take my gal by the hand and say the “I DO’s” for the legality of it, and say the “I love you” for the reason for it. 

I remember my first job in IT and how I felt so alone.  Right out of college, not really knowing what I was going to do and realizing I really was not qualified.  See I didn’t study computer science, I was an engineering major, and I did specialize in robotics for manufacturing, and wrote some database applications.  I remember the day in 1996 when I started the path to what I know look back on as my career in IT thus far. 

I remember many sleepless weekends, crashes, site implementations.  I remember once spending an entire weekend rewiring our Montana facility, installing a whole new phone system, and just at 5:30 AM when people first started coming in for the morning shifts, we had a thunder show, and yes those exist.   Lightning struck the transformer right by our facility and we were in a complete black out on our side of the industrial park.   Of course as the morning went on people gave us all endless teasing for the power being off and it was our way to delay what was a non-working system they said, although when the power was restored in the late morning, all was well. As we turned the UPS’s back on and brought up the equipment I remember that wink to the team knowing we won.   We silently went to work for a few more hours making sure there were no issues, then left a few hours early to get some needed sleep.   The sleep came second as the team and I first stopped off and McKenzie River Pizza there in Belgrade Montana for a meal and beverage. 

Oh I have had my share of loss too, professional, personal, and any other kind you can think of.  But I don’t dwell there.   I choose to remember my highs, learn from my lows, and live each day better than the day before.   I wish it was that easy though.   If I ever do get it figured out I will let you know, but for now, just remember I am trying.  

• My mother died of Alzheimer's several years ago.  In a very short time she went from a healthy, sharp minded, hardworking individual to a shell of a woman - sick, mindless, not remembering anyone.  I want to remember her in her vibrant years when she got up at 4 every morning,  even though she had retired years ago -  worked all day on her house or yard or cooking for the stray cats in her neighborhood. 

Alzheimer's is a horrible way to die (are there any good ways)?

Take care of your mind.  I am thankful to be in a business where every day is a learning experience and more new technology.  I pray that this will help prevent me from the same horrible death of my mom.

• Remember - Learn from your past so you don't repeat the same mistakes.

I struggle with remembering in general; a previous co-worker and friend used to tell me that I was like working with Dory.  To supplement my lack of short term memory I make copious use of Microsoft One-Note.

• Do you remember the

21st night of September?

• I visited my mothers the other day and she handed me a memory in a photograph.  I did not know that photo still existed.

I remembered a lot about that Sunday over 40 years ago but one fact I did not remember....I did not have any shoes on when the photo was taken.

For my 13th birthday, I received a .270 caliber rifle.  Eleven months later I used that rifle, on the Saturday before the photo, to take this trophy buck.  It was the first morning hunt of the season.

My Father was in deer blind about a half mile away from my deer blind.  Good thing since this would have his deer if he hunted with me.

Frio County, Texas, 12 points, 135 pounds, 20 1/2 inch spread, Boone and Crocket 158 4/8 and one very happy achievement I remember.

My father was so proud me and that deer.

Deer.PNG

RT

• Snatches of songs sometime frees up memories so old that I have to find out if they really happened or did I imagine them. Nowadays it can be the whiff ofit is sually the snatch of a song that awakens a memory out of the blue for me. I have always loved music though sadly lacking in talent. Music has formed a sort of soundtrack of my life. The Doors and KISS remind me of adolescence, Gordon Lightfoot (mainly) and the Clancy Brothers remind me of childhood. Then some BJ Thomas tune that was HUGE when I was little will play and I will remember us watching man land on the moon or something. THEN when I think of a song as it pulls up the memory, Rush's "Memories" from the flip side of 2112 pops into my head. The word remember also makes me think of one incident that, in turn, made me appreciate how important marking or commemoration things are to me. Without going into any details, I was about to embark on something that was exciting, exhilarating, and took may years to get to. It also held a fear so deep it could become panic or dread with the wrong mindset. The event was going to kick off with a chopper ride. About 20 minutes before time, an officer from another team called me over. "You ready?" he asked. An enlisted man in Vietnam, he was a truck driver while getting his AS degree in LibArts. Once done, he went to OCS as an Infantry officer. He was a 1st lieutenant promotable when we met. We weren't buddies. The very healthy "officer\NCO" separation was always present whenever we had talked in the past He said "Even when you come back in 10 days unscathed, you will probably never be the same. Lets mark this with a cigar. When you are waiting on something big to start, smoke a cigar and reflect on what's coming up. Then when you are old you will remember the cigar and the event you were waiting on." I have shared this story with fellow vets and a couple of them had similar incidents and advice So whenever its the start of a new job or a 1st date or whatever, if mission permits I smoke me a cigar and reflect on what is coming up and how I got there. Whenever I left the unit he gave me his 2nd lieutenant bar and told me to shine it, get an AS and come back. That was the original plan but life kept me a civilian after my AS :-) but I will always remember him, the ritual, and every time I observe it.

• ***********NOT AT WORK TODAY*********************

15541914_10211109388234458_3738097829650088267_n.jpg

Remembering 25 years ago today with Al Barber, Ellen Barber, Jerry, and Tom. My mom and Linda's dad are no longer with us but are well remembered. Happy 25th Anniversary to my wife Linda. Thank you to all our friends and family for sharing it all with us.

• There was a witty quote I wanted to share here, I don't remember it.

• Remember your past successes, but don't forget the lessons learned from experience.

Those lessons are the tools in your toolbox...

• "Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering." --Theodore Roosevelt