Day 13: Remember

To remember our past, our heritage is important.  By this we understand not only where we come from but where we might be going.   I actively part in genealogy work for my family so that I can help pass along the knowledge to future generations.   It has been a lot of fun working with family learning the stories, remembering old times, good times, and some not so good.

I remember growing up playing baseball.  It was just part of our DNA in the Midwest.  I can remember the awful pictures in the polyester uniforms before I was out of that awkward stage.   I remember the fun I had playing with those guys, through the years, even throughout high school.  I can remember how nice it felt to be part of that team, part of something special, even when we didn’t win every game or every tournament. 

I remember my wedding day, and the joy I felt getting to take my gal by the hand and say the “I DO’s” for the legality of it, and say the “I love you” for the reason for it. 

I remember my first job in IT and how I felt so alone.  Right out of college, not really knowing what I was going to do and realizing I really was not qualified.  See I didn’t study computer science, I was an engineering major, and I did specialize in robotics for manufacturing, and wrote some database applications.  I remember the day in 1996 when I started the path to what I know look back on as my career in IT thus far. 

I remember many sleepless weekends, crashes, site implementations.  I remember once spending an entire weekend rewiring our Montana facility, installing a whole new phone system, and just at 5:30 AM when people first started coming in for the morning shifts, we had a thunder show, and yes those exist.   Lightning struck the transformer right by our facility and we were in a complete black out on our side of the industrial park.   Of course as the morning went on people gave us all endless teasing for the power being off and it was our way to delay what was a non-working system they said, although when the power was restored in the late morning, all was well. As we turned the UPS’s back on and brought up the equipment I remember that wink to the team knowing we won.   We silently went to work for a few more hours making sure there were no issues, then left a few hours early to get some needed sleep.   The sleep came second as the team and I first stopped off and McKenzie River Pizza there in Belgrade Montana for a meal and beverage. 

Oh I have had my share of loss too, professional, personal, and any other kind you can think of.  But I don’t dwell there.   I choose to remember my highs, learn from my lows, and live each day better than the day before.   I wish it was that easy though.   If I ever do get it figured out I will let you know, but for now, just remember I am trying.  

• Day 13: Remember-- to bring to mind or think of again

I remember some of my experiences from before I could walk.  Most folks don’t’ accept that fact, saying they don’t remember anything before they were five or six years old, therefore no one else should be able to, either.

But I don’t remember where I put the Ketchup bottle as I bustle about while making supper and setting the table.  I go to the fridge and the cupboard over and over, scan the counter and table again and again.

Of course, I’m carrying it while I’m searching the kitchen and dining room for it. 

I hope to remember the good times, and learn from the less good times and let them go.

• Make people remember you for how you always remember them. emoticons_happy.png

• The older we get the more of those "remember when" stories we tell.  I see people on Facebook now and that is most of what they do.  Although I agree it is fun to look back sometimes, it is also important to look forward more.  It is not healthy or safe to walk backwards all the time and it can not be healthy to look backwards all the time. I think you should always have goals, dreams and desires.  I do enjoy those remember when stories and love to hear them and tell them.  Each day is a blessing and I look forward to many more with God and family.

• One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was to put memories to use (both good and bad) not as a means of beating yourself up or getting an inflated sense of your own self-worth, but as a school.  To use, to mine for information and insight, to made course changes and corrections, and to make yourself better so you get every bit of value out of those experiences/memories possible.  I always try to remember to do an "after action report" whenever we finish a major project, because there are always things we can do better and improve on, and always things that turned out a little better than we expected and can be used as is or adapted to then next project.  It also helps to write it down while it's still fresh because sometimes our memories are not as accurate as we think.  Each year we go back over the successes and failures and use those to set a better course for the next year.

• Always remember where you have been and where you are going and you will not get lost. Always remember your mistakes and your past so you will always learn and grow.

• Remember where you came from

Do not forget the past,

But stay focused forward

To reach your goals at last.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember over 4 years ago

Remember your past and past mistakes. The only way to improve is to learn from and remember your past, failures, accomplishments, encounters, dreams, and more. Remembering allows us to improve and always hone our skills. Remember the good times also and enjoy them to help ease stress.

• Remembrance is a powerful thing.

Often we even reminisce when we give directions:  "Drive passed where the old gas station used to be and turn left at the lot where we used to play ball and if you get to Kenny's mom's old house, you've gone to far"

It is a true adage, that those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.  But equally dangerous is not letting go.

The death of many a church, business, or organization is "We ain't never done it that way before."

You have to learn from past mistakes and stand on the shoulders of those who came before, but innovation and relevance dies when your only reason for not changing is "that's the way we have always done it."

Whether it is explaining processes or standards, the answer should never be just because.

Grow from what you remember but to not be imprisoned by it.

• To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. - Confucius

• The mind is the most powerful tool on this planet. Everything from grass, to trees, to buildings, machines and other tools, are shaped by the mind. Our thoughts and memories can stir powerful emotions, and drives us to become who we are, and who our children become.

Easily remembered are the hurtful and sorrowful items in our past. Easily forgotten are the fun and exciting things in our past.

It is important to remember all items in our past, and use those memories to shape ourselves and our future. We have a greater impact to our surroundings than what we realize...whether it's friends, family, or the environment. Those things we remember shape our individual character, and "that person, good character, or bad character, is going to change the world."*

*Johnathon Kent, Man of Steel