The short answer, before we go into the stats and other reasoning stuff, is “a lot!” There’s very much for you in it with your increasing IT spend if you do it right, and if you do it in time.
The recent Gartner® Worldwide IT Spending Forecast has reported that global IT spending in increasing in various areas of IT. The role of IT in enabling business is being felt more and more, and top decision makers in organizations are coming to understand the value in IT investment more than they did last year.
THE SPEND TREND
Gartner states, worldwide IT spending is on pace to total $3.8 trillion in 2014, a 3.2 percent increase from 2013. While this spans across multiple IT areas, it’s interesting to see the growth rate for spending on enterprise software which is on pace to total $320 billion, a 6.9 percent increase from 2013.
While this is all positive outlook for 2014, the decision makers who are reading these numbers may wonder what they are going to get for spending more. Actually a lot! IT has evolved through the years from being a mere business accessory to an essential business enabler, contributor, and the need of the hour for business growth. Enterprise software has redefined how business functions operate adding more agility, scale, global connect and process automation. For those of you who understand only numbers – ROI in terms of cost and time savings. When you know what technology is suited for your business, and what short-term and long-term plans you have to implement the technology and sustain it, you would have mastered the strategy of output-driven IT spending. Even if you did decide to invest more in IT enablement, what should you be spending on? Selecting vital IT services is important.
IT infrastructure management is a key area of IT that has become inevitable in any network and data center environment. When you have network hardware, storage systems, servers and applications, there are bound to be failures and errors which only impact business continuity. IT management helps you get ahead of the issues, monitor your infrastructure proactively, and gives you visibility and control to fix the issues and eliminate the business impact. And also giving you the easy means to automate and simplify the way you do IT – delivering more operational efficiency and less manual overhead in problem-solving and fixing things.
IT infrastructure management does both:
- Monitoring and alerting on infrastructure problems
- Automating and troubleshooting infrastructure problems
Infrastructure management spans across various areas of IT including the network, servers and systems environment, storage and virtualized architecture, the security layer, and services for end-user IT support. Choosing to spend the wise way, when in the time of need, will help you gain quicker results of your IT investment.
HOW TO MAKE SURE YOUR IT SPENDING IS GOING TO BE WORTHWHILE?
- Understand your requirement well and choose the right IT management technology for your infrastructure
- Determine whether the solution is going to scale according to your growing infrastructure needs
- Evaluate various automation and simplicity options that IT management solutions can offer you
- Figure out how the ROI from your investment is going to come – problem-solving, failure detection, threat prevention, time savings, etc.
- Ensure you don’t get into vendor lock-in or in a money pit with single-vendor solutions
- Let the real end-users of IT management solutions, the IT guys – network admins and system admins – have a say in what you want to implement
It’s not about how much you spend to go with the spending trend. It about how wisely you spend on IT services in order to reap the full benefits of your investment while growing your business.