In just a few short hours, we release the official SolarWinds Sci-Fi Battle Bracket.
I know… we are pretty freaking excited ourselves. But, let’s all take a deep and cleansing breath and take care of a little housekeeping before we release this linguistic virus and this thing gets bigger than a supernova.
You are probably asking yourself, what should I expect from an Intergalatic Bracket Battle? Well, let us adopt the role of helpful onboard computer, providing you with the information you need to engage.
In order to make the battle accessible to Neophytes and Trekkies alike, we have selected 33 candidates from the Sci-Fi (and, technically, Space Fantasy) canon of literature, movies, and television shows. Each pairing has been carefully matched based on some shared theme or principle (and, it is not always the most obvious basis of comparison).
MATCH UP ANALYSIS
- For each combatant, we offer links to the best Wikipedia reference page by clicking on the NAME link in bracket
- A breakdown of each match-up is available by clicking on the VOTE link.
- Anyone can view the bracket and the match-up descriptions, but to comment and VOTE you must be a thwack member (and logged IN). It's easier to join than the Battle School... promise.
- Again, you have to be logged in to vote and debate…
- You may only vote ONCE for each match up
- Once you vote on a match, click the link to return to the bracket and vote on the next match up in the series.
- Each vote gets you 50 thwack points! So, over the course of the entire battle you have the opportunity to rack up 1550 points. Not too shabby…
- Please feel free to campaign for your favorites and debate the merits of our match ups to your hearts content in the comments section and via twitter/Facebook/Google+ etc. etc. etc.
- We even have a hashtag… #SWIscifibattle… to make it a little bit easier.
- There will be a PDF version of the bracket available to facilitate debate with your office mates or HALO crew. (Yes, this bracket battle is a bit like Serenity… not as fancy as that Bracketology thingy that happens this month, but suits our needs and we are a bit partial to its stripped down efficiency)
- And, if you want to post pics of your bracket predictions, we would love to see them on our Facebook page!
SCHEDULE (Full schedule will post along with the bracket on March 8)
- Bracket Release and Prequel Battle OPENS March 8 at MIDNIGHT
- Sector 1 Battles OPEN March 12 at MIDNIGHT
- Fleet 16 Battles OPEN March 18 at MIDNIGHT
- Super 8 Battles OPEN March 21 at MIDNIGHT
- Death Quad Battles OPEN March 26 at Midnight
- Judgment Day Battle opens March 28 at MIDNIGHT
- Champion of the Multiverse will be announced on APRIL 1 (no foolin’)
If you have other questions… feel free to drop them below and we will get right back with you!
Otherwise, keep your eyes on this space to bear witness to our Sci-Fi Cathedral of Chaos... Doors open at midnight... Don't forget. Don't be late. Don't make Uncle Enzo apologize.
Thrusters in 5...4…3…2…
Fill out your bracket and post it, don't be shy.