In part 2 of "What's New in SAM 6.8" we are going to discuss the improved Cisco UCS monitoring that is shipping with SAM 6.8
(If you were looking for part 1 it is over here: SAM 6.8 What's New Part 1 - AppInsight for Active Directory )
Those of you who have been using SAM with NPM for a while are probably already aware that some support for UCS monitoring is possible in Orion. UCS support has been re-written to be utilized by any combination or standalone deployment of SAM, VMAN or NPM Additionally we added a new overview resource that let's you visualize your UCS environment. We fleshed out the hardware health support to include all the pieces. Fabric Inter-connects, Chassis, Blades and any rack mount UCS servers that you have managed under UCS. Finally we added a widget to let you see native errors and failures from UCS via the API. If you are using Cisco UCS in a Hyper-converged (HCI) configuration or hosting your critical virtualization resources in UCS then the new monitoring we have added is going to be a big win for you!
Get started by adding your Cicso UCS Manager node. In the Add a node wizard, click 'Poll for UCS' and enter your credentials.
Once you are successfully polling the UCS Manager some new widgets will become available:
Overview and UCS Errors and Failures
Blade hardware health
New layer added in AppStack!
AppStack let's you see the relationship between your Cisco UCS resources and the VMs and Applications running on them.
See end to end status from containers and applications all the way to the storage at the foundation of your UCS stack!
Out of the box alerts and reports:
Cisco UCS Entity Report
That wraps up our quick tour of this great new feature in SAM 6.8... As always, if you like what you see or have a question or a comment please feel free to contribute below.
You can also submit a feature request Server & Application Monitor Feature Requests
If you are curious about what we are planning for future releases jump over to the public road map What We're Working On Beyond SAM 6.8 (Updated March 13, 2019)
Here are some additional useful links related to SAM:
- SAM release notes: http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=R56
- SAM system requirements: http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=R27
- SAM Installation Guide: https://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=MT88165
- SAM Getting Started Guide: https://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=48089
- SAM Upgrade Guide: https://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=MT30781
- Install SAM evaluation: Use https://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=MT90565
- Free SAM eLearning: https://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/kbloader.aspx?kb=MT110428