Virtualization Manager (VMAN) 7.0 is now available with predictive and alert recommendations. VMAN 7.0 started with the basis to expand on Solarwinds current strengths of Discovery, Alerting, & Reporting and grow our toolset to provide advanced remediation and troubleshooting capabilities to support the *D.A.R.T framework. We tackled this challenge with intelligent actions that remediate existing alerts and predictive recommendations that pro-actively avoid downtime time and performance issue in your virtual infrastructure. Our goal was to stay true to Solarwinds tenants of simplicity and provide a toolset that was designed by systems engineers for systems engineers. I feel confident that we have done that with VMAN 7.0.
What is included VMAN 7.0:
- Updated UI Look and Feel - This release updated the SolarWinds Orion Web Console’s user interface, navigation, and notifications.
- Predictive Recommendations - Advanced trending analysis is used to identify workload patterns of your virtual infrastructure to provide strategic recommendations. Based on historical data and trending, recommendations are created for Performance Optimization, Maximum Environment Utilization, and Problem Prevention. Since these recommendations require historical data a minimum of 7 days of data is required.
- Performance Optimization - Recommendations balance the workload of the virtual infrastructure to ensure the best performance is attained. Based on historical trending, VMAN will identify the true work-load patterns, and determine where to place VMs. This ensures that all VMs have the necessary resources and that VMs residing on the same host have compatible workloads.
- Maximum Environment Utilization - The goal of these recommendations is to ensure that the resources in the environment are leveraged to their full capacity with no loss of performance. Essentially, do more with less!!
- Problem Prevention - These recommendations prevent situations where a lack of resources caused by resource depletion would affect the performance of a VM.
- Active/Alert Recommendations - These are tactical recommendations are that are meant to solve an immediate problem. Think of these as alert recommendations, where their sole purpose is to resolve virtualization issues (aka put out an immediate fire) or capacity issues as a result of an alert. Since VMAN does not use historical data to make real-time recommendation it does not take into account future workloads when making the recommendation. Therefore only 1 hr of polling is required for VMAN to generate any necessary Active Recommendations. These recommendations can be identified with a NOW icon preceding the recommendation.
Existing customers can find the VMAN 7.0 & VIM 7.0 download files from the customer portal and new customers can find the download links here. Visit the VMAN 7.0 customer support center to find all information related to VMAN 7.0 install and upgrades.
Before upgrading :
VMAN 7.0 requires Orion Platform 2016.2, NPM 12.0.1, SAM 6.3, NCM 7.5.1. VIM 7.0 released with VMAN 7.0 includes Orion 2016.2. You must upgrade to Orion Platform 2016.2 products to upgrade to VMAN 7.0.
For VMAN integrated with the Orion Web Console, you need to upgrade to VIM 7.0. Regardless of your installed Orion product version (such as NPM 12.0.1 or SAM 6.3), you should run the VIM 7.0 upgrade. This upgrade includes additional feature additions and fixed issues.