I am very excited to announce the beginning of the Virtualization Manager 6.0 beta (sign up for the beta). Many of you have been voting for your favorite feature on the Virtualization Manager Feature Requests forum, but no feature is requested more than Integration with SAM and NPM. Well, you are finally going to get your wish! Before we dive into the details of the integration, lets review all the goodness that is coming with 6.0.
- Integration with Orion - we will talk about this feature more below.
- Resizable widgets - one size does not fit all, and now you can change the size of your widgets. Check out the details in the feature request Add Ability to Adjust Widget Grid for all the details and some cool screenshots.
Performance Analyzer (charting) - we have made numerous improvements like better date selections, allowing you to adjust the size of the legend, and improving the segmentation of data. Be watching the feature request Change the format of the legend for charts for more details.
- Capacity Planner - speed improvements and bug fixes
- Speed and Security - we made adjustments to improve the speed of collection and the GUI. A few of these sneaked into the recent 5.1.1 service release, but most arrive in this release. We have also updated the core components of the appliance to address known issues.
Sign Up: Don't forget to sign up for the beta at Virtualization Manager 6.0 Beta Participation Survey.
Integration - what does it mean?
Before we dig into the features and screenshots, a couple of notes on what integration means:
- Seeing it in Orion - we aren't just pasting some Virtualization Manager widgets into Orion views, were actually exposing the data in Orion in native resources.
- Keeping it in Orion - we wanted to keep you navigating in Orion naturally, moving from Application to VM to Host to Datastore and back again without leaving the Orion interface - unless you want to.
- Linking it to Virtualization Manager - we do want to expose the Virtualization Manager interface, but contextually. When you see a link to Virtualization Manager, it will be in context of the Orion object you are viewing, and it will be clear that it links to Virtualization Manager.
With that out of the way, let's get to the cool stuff.
What can you do with all this Goodness?
This is a lot of new data we are exposing in Orion but how will you be able to leverage it? Here are a few new and enhanced ways you can solve problems:
List of New Views
There are many new views, subviews and resources - here is a quick list.
I'll focus on the datastore view next.
Datastore View Details
The datastore view focuses on a single datastore, presenting both capacity, utilization and performance, as well as the other virtualization objects and applications related to this datastore. Yes, applications too.
List of Resources:
More to Come
We couldn't list everything or cover all the aspects in a single post. There will be lots of questions about core features (alerts, reports, configuration, etc.) that we will cover in future posts, but please ask questions here or contact me directly if you want to have a more in depth conversation about integration.
Disclaimer: The screenshots presented here are mockups and are not identical to the final deliverable.