Users have found Mobile Adminhttp://http//www.solarwinds.com/solutions/mobile-IT-administration-app.aspxincredibly useful for managing a wide-range of IT administration functions from resetting passwords in Active Directory while out to dinner to restarting VM's from their bedsides. But many SolarWinds customers have long cried out for the ability to monitor and manage their other Orion products from a user friendly native app. Well, we've listened to your requests and are now releasing Mobile Admin 8.0 with support for SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor, Server and Application Monitor, Network Configuration Manager, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, and User Device Tracker! Now some of you may recall macnugetz great post a few months back walking you through the support for Network Performance Monitor in Mobile Admin. Well, I'm happy to let you know that we've deepened support for Network Performance Monitor while also broadening it to the other products in the Orion family.
Rather than describe in words all the integration that our development team has built into the product, I thought I'd demonstrate by taking a look at how integration with Server and Application Monitor can help you track down and resolve issues in your environment while on the go:
A Mobile Walk Through Server and Application Monitor
1) Once you've setup Mobile Admin to monitor your installation of SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor, go into the SolarWinds service:
2) Dive into "Applications with Problems" to....you guessed it...see your applications with problems
3) I see that there is a problem with the Sharepoint 2007 server LAB-SHAREPOINT.lab.tex so I dive in for more information:
4) I get a little bit of information here, but I can dive even deeper by launching the menu and selecting Components:
5) I see that a number of my Component Monitors are down, some of them are up and others are in an unknown state. From here I can drill down into any component monitor to get even more information. For example, if I click on the "Single-sign On" monitor:
6) It appears that this monitor has never collected successfully. Now, here's the magic: While in the Server and Application Monitor, I am only 1-click away from fixing the issue on the actual node having problems. I simply go back to the menu and select "Open Node in Mobile Admin"
7) When you open the node in Mobile Admin, I can launch any service available to me on that node. I can restart the server, ping it to see if it's responding, run debugging or configuration scripts or simply launch RDP, Telnet, VNC, or SSH sessions to debug the machine directly. And all of this power is in the palm of your hand, from your phone or tablet (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, iPad, Kindle Fire), wherever, whenever you are.
Just one more thing....
That's just a simple example of what's available within Mobile Admin. Obviously within this limited space, I can't go through all the cool integration we've built in detail. However, one of our intrepid developers built this handy flowchart that shows all the integration at a very high level (Thanks Vacek!):
I hope you'll explore all the new features available in Mobile Admin v8.0 for yourself! Mobile Admin 8.0 is available for download now in your Customer Portal for customers on active maintenance. I'd also love your feedback on how to improve integration with other SolarWinds services in the future!