Some of you may already be familiar with this feature, but for those of you that are not, this is a handy little gem. We often hear requests for the ability to put multiple data points on to a single chart/graph and while we have this on our list of items to make easier and more robust in the product going forward, you can accomplish this today on a single node leveraging the Universal Device Poller (UnDP). For those of you not familiar with the UnDP, check out this tutorial here for more info.
A couple examples of what you may want to do with this are graphing utilization of multi-core CPU’s or looking at multiple interface utilization. I have put example screenshots of both of these below.
Ex. Multi-Core CPU Utilization
Ex. Multiple interface utilization
Now, we’ll get to the details on how to accomplish this with Orion. You can do in 9.5 and 10.0.
- Remote Desktop to your Orion server and launch the Universal Device Poller application and create a new Universal Device Poller
- Specify the MIB or OID you wish to poll. Note this only works with polling a table
- Assign to the nodes you want to poll this information from
- Select where you want this data to appear, most likely this is going to be as a chart on the node details page
- Log into the Orion web console and navigate to one of the nodes you assigned the Universal Device Poller to and click Edit in the upper right hand corner of the resource
- Within the edit dialog you can modify multiple parameters to you preference including:
- A more user friendly resource title name
- Which items from the table you want to be graphed on this chart
- Select the chart format of how you wish it to be displayed within the graph
- Time period and sample period for the chart graph
Here is another example of the same above interface utilization chart, but as a line chart instead of a bar chart.
Also, here are some of the OID’s we use to gather some of the more common statistic in Orion which you may find useful here.
Windows CPU & Memory:
- hrProcessorLoad 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.2.
- hrMemorySize 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.0
- hrSWRunPerfMem 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1.2.
Interface Errors and Discards:
- ifInDiscards 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.13.
- ifInErrors 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.14.
- ifOutDiscards 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.19.
- ifOutErrors 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.20.
32bit Counter based
- ifInOctets 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.10.
- ifInUcastPkts 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.11.
- ifInNUcastPkts 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.12.
- ifOutOctets 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.16.
- ifOutUcastPkts 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.17.
- ifOutNUcastPkts 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.18.
64bit Counter based
- ifHCInOctets 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1.6.
- ifHCInUcastPkts 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1.7.
- ifHCInMulticastPkts 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1.8.
- ifHCOutOctets 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1.10.
- ifHCOutUcastPkts 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1.11.
- ifHCOutMulticastPkts 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1.12.