Today, I want to bring your attention to a great series of webcasts that are available here: Security Kung Fu Webcast Series
I will stress the importance of each one of these over the next few weeks as I review and reflect on what I learned from these webcasts.
That's right. I'm reviewing the webcast as a critic in this series because I deeply believe in security, and I want to make sure you guys are aware of the content provided in each webcast. Please follow me on this security adventure and dive into the importance of the information they covered. Also, I'll be mixing them up, so the reviews won't be presented in order.
1. There is a difference in being secure versus compliant.
- I can comply with regulations, but does that cover everything within my infrastructure?
- I can secure my environment, but does that mean I am meeting my overall compliance needs?
These are questions that I like to ask whenever I'm involved with any security plan. This helps to make sure that my environment is fluid and being assessed by both sides of the argument.
2. Too many rules to follow! I just want to do my job!
- News flash: Security is a business issue. It's NOT just for IT!
- This webcast talks about the rules and compliance needs for different types of businesses. However, all levels of users need to focus on security. This means engaging with and training them at every opportunity.
The biggest issue that I see is a lack of a solid security planning that is integral to an organization's overarching business strategy. This webcast offers insight on ways to use tools to help you complete security plans faster and strengthen your proactive and reactive security needs.
The Security vs Compliance webcast will help guide you toward implementing a solid security plan. I joined this webcast and offered some of my opinions on being secure vs compliant, so please feel free to let me know if you have more to add!
Remember, "Security is a very fluid dance. The music may change, but you have to keep dancing."
If there is something specific you guys want me to bring up, please let me know! I love talking security and how to use what you have to support any security plan. Leave me a security comment and I'll see if I can get this ramped up and answer in a future Geek Speak blog!