In the contemporary American cinema classic, “Back to the Future,” Marty McFly takes a DeLorean-turned-time-machine into the future, into the past, and subsequently into the future again. If only your network and system infrastructure had a similar means of interdimensional travel to reveal the catalyst to events and incidents. Unfortunately, there is no flux capacitor for your network. You cannot get your firewall up to 88MPH, lock horns with a one-billion-volt bolt of lightning, and go back in time to determine the underlying cause of historical incidents on your network. Instead, we stay vigilant, watching and monitoring our networks for issues and trends across a historical period of time. However, in most environments, monitoring and observing all devices for ANY event is a foreboding task.
Luckily for us, most devices log events and have the ability to forward their log files to a centralized syslog server for collection, aggregation, review, and action. These log entries can range from configuration change notifications and port flapping on network devices, to services stopping on a system, or an intrusion. These log messages are paramount to your historical monitoring, and in some cases, compliance to legal and/or regulatory standards and audits. However, a log can only give you the information you need if you read it. This presents a challenge when many devices, such as firewalls, can produce millions of log messages per minute, many of which you might not need to read at all. With Kiwi Syslog® Server, you no longer have to hunt through log files on each individual device. Instead, they are all at your fingertips, allowing you to collect, filter, parse, and alert on log messages based on your criteria.
Ever vigilant, Kiwi Syslog Server becomes your eyes and ears, watching and listening for unusual log entries so you don’t have to. It is like a DeLorean for your network.
Kiwi Syslog Key Benefits
- Deploy quickly. Accepts Syslog, SNMP, and Event Log data from your existing deployment.
- Monitor real-time logs. Display logs locally or anywhere through the secure web access module.
- React to messages. Send email, run programs, or forward data when selected messages arrive.
- Troubleshoot problems. Centralize logs from systems and network devices to quickly pinpoint issues.
- Comply with regulations. Implement log retention requirements of SOX, FISMA, PCI-DSS, and more.
Kiwi Syslog Key Features
- NO LIMIT on maximum number of sources
- Built and tested to handle MILLIONS of messages an hour
- Run as a service (or foreground application) on most Windows operating systems
- Collect log data from Syslog messages (both UDP and TCP), SNMP traps, and Windows® Event Logs (through the included Windows Event Forwarder)
- Display real-time logs in multiple windows in a local viewing console, or from anywhere through secure web access
- Split written logs by device, IP, hostname, date, or other message or time variables
- Manage log archives with scheduled compress, encrypt, rename, move, and delete rules
- Forward logs to other syslog servers, SNMP servers, or databases
- Send email alerts, run programs, play sounds, and perform other actions when messages arrive
- Act as a syslog proxy (forwarding messages with original IP information)
- Ship syslog information securely across insecure networks with included Kiwi Secure Tunnel
- View trend analysis graphs and send email with traffic statistics
Of course, it would be much more fun and adventurous to traverse the space-time continuum. Who wouldn’t want to leap into another dimension to get a glimpse of what’s to come, or a head’s up on things before they happen? However, for those of us without a time machine, there’s always Kiwi Syslog Server. Download it today and start your journey to better understand your network.