On Thursday, we had our first Atlanta #SWUG (SolarWinds User Group).
We did things a little differently this time by starting with a live announcement broadcasted to the THWACK homepage and our SolarWinds Facebook page.
In case you missed it, the live announcement & our gift to you is:
1) #THWACKcamp is coming back (September 14th & 15th)!
2) Registration is now open>> THWACKcamp 2016
3) If you register during the month of June you will be entered to win a trip to come to Austin for the live event for you + 1! (USA, CAN, UK & Germany are eligible)
Here’s a brief recap of the presentations & resources from the SWUG:
MC for this SWUG: patrick.hubbard, SolarWinds Head Geek
'NetPath™: How it works'
cobrien, Sr. Product Manager (Networks)
Chris O’Brien gave an overview and live demonstration of NetPath (a feature in the latest release of NPM 12). See it in action:
'Systems Product Roadmap Discussion + Q&A'
stevenwhunt, Sr. Product Manager (Systems)
What we’re working on for Systems products:
- SAM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-177463
- VMAN: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176991
- SRM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176930
- DPA: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176928
'Customer Spotlight: Custom Alerts for your Environment'
njoylif, SolarWinds MVP
Larry did an excellent job of talking about all the ways you can leverage custom properties in your environment.
He also connected the dots and demonstrated how alerting and custom properties go hand in hand.
'SolarWinds Best Practices & Thinking Outside of the Box'
Dez, Technical Product Manager
KMSigma, Product Manager
- SAM as UnDP and TCP port monitoring
•OIDs, and MIBs, and SNMP – Oh, my.
- NCM approval process with RTN for security needs
•Manager & Multistage Approval, Real-time Notification, and Compliance
- Alerting best practices
•Leveraging Custom properties to reduce Alert Noise
- NetFlow Alerting with WPM
•Using WPM for Alerts that are currently not within for NTA
- Optimizing your SolarWinds Installation
•Building Orion Servers based on Role
- Upgrade Advisor
•Upgrade Paths Simplified
'Customer Spotlight: HTML is Your Friend: Leveraging HTML in Alert Notifications'
bsciencefiction.tv, SolarWinds MVP
adamlboyd (Not in attendance, but may be able to help with any follow up questions)
Kevin & Michael did a great job of showing us how they are using HTML to customize their alerts.
Specifically, they showed us how they were able to customize their email alerts which solved for:
- Teams paying attention to their alerts
- Easy to digest
- Easy to recognize issues
- HTML 5 is responsive on Mobile so their alerts look good on different devices.
SolarWinds User Experience "Dear New Orion User..."
meech, User Experience
- Sign up to be Usabili-buddy>>http://tinyurl.com/ux-solarwinds
- Join the UX group on thwack>> User Experience
Thank you to everyone who attended the event! We enjoyed meeting and talking with each of you.
We hope you’ll keep the conversation going on this post and on THWACK.
And last (but not least), thank you to our sponsor and professional services partner, Loop1Systems (BillFitz_Loop1) for hosting the happy hour!
Additional information on Loop1Systems: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/swug/Atlanta/Loop1_SWUG.pptx
**If you left without filling out a survey, please help us out by telling us how we can make SWUGs even better>> http://thwack.SWUG-Feedback.sgizmo.com/s3/
If you are interested in hosting a SWUG in your area, please fill out a host application here>> http://thwack.swug-host.sgizmo.com/s3/
If you’re attending Cisco Live this year, RSVP to attend the SWUG we’re hosting during the event!