On Monday, we held our first Seattle #SWUG (SolarWinds User Group) at the Living Computer Museum.
thwacksters from the Pacific Northwest and as far as Missoula, Montana (shout out to edsando) gathered together and united in our geekiness and love of SolarWinds.
In an effort to keep the conversation going and provide you with the valuable resources that were mentioned at the SWUG, here’s a recap of what went down:
MC for this SWUG: adatole
‘Product Roadmap Discussion + Q & A’
cobrien Sr. Product Manager (Networks)
patrick.hubbard, Head Geek (Systems)
stevenwhunt, Sr. Product Manager (Systems)
*Not in attendance, but can help with any follow up questions regarding systems products.
- NPM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176899
- NTA: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176517
- NCM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176911
- SAM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-177463
- VMAN: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176991
- SRM: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176930
- DPA: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176928
- What We Are Working On (all products)
- [VIDEO] SolarWinds Lab #40: Awesome Alert Integration: Slack, Service Desk and More
- Vote for what you think the next AppInsight should be: Server & Application Monitor Feature Requests
‘SolarWinds Best Practices & Thinking Outside the Box’
Dez, Technical Product Manager
KMSigma, Product Manager
For this session we asked attendees to vote on what they wanted to talk about. The top voted topic was “Alerting best practices: Leveraging Custom properties to reduce Alert Noise”. They talked about Muting alerts so you’re still getting the statistics, but you’re not getting alerted to things that don’t require immediate attention.
N_Mute , I_Mute, etc.
They also talked about how you can utilize custom properties to group alerts or send alerts to only certain teams in your organization.
The other noteworthy topic they covered was “Optimizing the SolarWinds implementation: Building Orion Servers based on Role”.
KMSigma made it look easy with this diagram:
For more tips on how to optimize Orion, check out this video: Optimizing SolarWinds Orion - YouTube
- Network Path Troubleshooting online demo: http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/SummaryView.aspx?ViewID=527
- [How To] Change the NTA Flow Storage Database location - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
‘Customer Spotlight - How University of Washington Integrated the Syslog, Trap and Alert Manager’
RichardLetts, Network Operations Center Manager, SolarWinds MVP
Richard shared some interesting facts about UW (most surprising is that their budget is several billion dollars) and gave some useful tips on traps & alerts, and how to get started with SQL.
- Thwack (how to integrate Traps and Alerts) Custom SQL Alerts based on the SNMP trap message content
- How to Run an SQL Query in Orion Database Manager on Windows Server 2008 - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
- SQL For Dummies: Allen G. Taylor: 9781118607961: Amazon.com: Books
- Growl for Windows
- Auto-adding Hardware health monitoring when provisioning nodes:
‘Customer Spotlight - How Atmosera is Leveraging SolarWinds to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience’
byrona, Systems Engineer, SCP, SolarWinds MVP
jcheney, SVP Client Operations
Jared Cheney and Byron Anderson gave us an overview of Atmosera and their evolution as a company and discussed how SolarWinds helps meet their monitoring needs for Hybrid Cloud.
They also made the entire room jealous with their NOC views #NOCEnvy.
They’re using NPM, NCM, IPAM, SAM, LEM to support their customers every day and to ensure the health of their network and thousands of applications. Atmosera uses LEM with HIPAA/HITECH, PCI DSS 3.1, IRS1075, NIST 800-53, and several other compliance standards. They said LEM makes compliance audits a breeze with its secure collection and storage of logs, quick & easy reporting, and fast alert creation.
‘SolarWinds User Experience Dear New Orion User…’
kbongi, User Experience
In a nutshell, we want your feedback! Here’s how to get involved:
- Sign up to be Usabili-buddy>>http://tinyurl.com/ux-solarwinds
- Join the UX group on thwack>> User Experience
Thank you to everyone who attended! We really enjoyed meeting and speaking with each of you.
If you left without filling out a survey, please help us out by telling us how we can make SWUGs even better>> 160418 Seattle SWUG Survey
If you’re in the Atlanta, GA area sign up for our upcoming SWUG>> June 9, 2016 - Atlanta, Georgia SWUG