Do you often get complaints from customers about the amount of time it takes to reach a support technician? What steps have you tried to overcome this issue?
- Round-the-clock customer service
- More technicians
- Automation of customer service operations using a help desk or a ticketing tool.
You can improve the turnaround time of customer support calls by providing self-help options. You don’t always need to involve your technicians in every support call or issue that comes through your door. Customer service can also involve providing information to customers so they can resolve some issues themselves.
Your support department likely receives a number of repeated requests for common issues. You can handle these requests like all the others you receive, or you can set up self-help channels that end-users can explore to resolve issues on their own. Self-help channels can be in the form of a knowledge base or even an online forum/community.
- Knowledge Base (KB): You can compile the common and repetitive issues that end-users experience and document the issues’ descriptions and resolution steps. You configure your help desk software to recognize these issues and direct end-users to your knowledge base as an initial support option. A knowledge base is also a valuable resource for training and educating new help desk technicians.
- Online Forum/Community: An online forum is where IT pros can share their experiences, queries, issues, and feedback. Technicians can use the forum to interact with customers and invite members to offer their own tips and suggestions for resolving issues.
The knowledge base and online community are useful tools for assisting end-users with common issues that don’t require extensive troubleshooting and technician assistance. Other self-help channels include:
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR): An automated telephony system that interacts with callers to gather information and route calls to the appropriate recipients. IVRs are designed to accommodate certain types of caller interactions, but they can speed up support calls by routing the caller to the right staff members/technicians faster.
- Web Portal: A self-managed account where customers can log in and retrieve information from various sources like commerce functionalities, support ticket updates, new products, discounts etc.
- Proactive Engagement: A method of giving customers information they need before they contact customer service (bill notifications/details, balance updates, insurance updates and expiration dates, etc.) Organizations can use this method to both communicate important information to customers as well as encourage customers to use their products.
Excellent customer service fosters customer loyalty, strengthens your reputation in your industry, and leads to continual business success. Incorporating self-help channels enables you to elevate the level of your customer satisfaction by moving your customers from issue to resolution faster.