You have no control over when you may experience downtime. If you’re thinking, ‘what’s an hour of downtime going to cost?’ You may want to re-think that. What you thought was an hour of downtime can cost your organization millions (if you’re a large organization). Organizations whose businesses are driven through online traffic and sales experience massive losses, especially during peak business hours. For such organizations, application downtime is almost never accepted.
According to this report from Aberdeen Group, only 7% of organizations claimed to have less than 5 minutes of downtime in an entire year. These organizations have had almost 100% up-time. Another staggering stat from the report: downtime costs large organizations a little over $1.1 million per hour. Organizations of all sizes gets affected due to downtime and Aberdeen’s research shows there is a 19% increase YoY in cost of downtime per hour.
As sysadmins, you have a lot of responsibility in trying to ensure critical applications do not fail and end users don’t experience any downtime. You need to have consistent application performance and continuous application availability to avoid facing downtime. The only way to know application performance and availability is not affected is by monitoring key performance counters. Set baseline values and get proactively alerted if a counter or a metric is going over the threshold. All of this is possible when you have a right monitoring solution in place.
Monitoring tools allows you to do the following proactively:
- Check the status of the application
- See application performance – group applications based on type, location, user base, etc.
- Get notified whenever an issue comes up
- Seamlessly integrate with other monitoring solutions in your IT infrastructure. That way, you can address other issues in your IT environment
- Resolve server hardware issues by stopping services and killing processes
Simplify your IT infrastructure by using a monitoring solution. You don’t have to find reasons to convince your boss on why you need an ideal tool that will monitor critical business applications. Instead, use the ROI calculator from SolarWinds and see how Server & Application Monitor (SAM) can proactively monitor applications.
How the ROI Calculator Adds Value to your Decision Making
Make informed decisions, calculate short term and long term ROI, costs and maintenance options from one vendor to another.
- Look at how your current solution functions and determine the ROI that you get after you deploy SAM.
- Determine the challenges you go through on your existing system and benchmark how SAM adds direct value to those challenges.
- Look at the current spend on your tool. You can compare how much downtime you had in the past year and see if your current application monitoring tool is giving you the ROI you deserve.
You get more for less with SAM – whether it’s in-depth monitoring of your SQL server, or managing all your IT assets, it’s better to rely on a tool that proactively shows you issues as they occur, giving you a chance to quickly diagnose and fix them before more users raise helpdesk tickets. You don’t have to take our word, have a look at this a recent survey conducted by IT Brand Pulse for IT pros. SAM came out as a clear leader in all areas – market leader, performance, reliability, service and support, and innovation.
If you fall outside the 7% category of having hours of downtime in a year, it’s time you had another look at your current ROI and take some hard decisions in order to avoid downtime.