As an IT environment grows, you will continue to add more hardware, software, and applications for end-users. Your current IT assets are going to increase and you will have to make continuous adjustments to the existing setup to expand and scale your infrastructure. As IT pros, not only do you have to proactively monitor hardware and application health, but you also have to keep an up-to-date inventory of all your IT assets. Even though it’s a time consuming and tedious manual process, it has to be done due to most organizational policies.
Not maintaining an inventory of your IT assets can have these results:
- Lack of visibility on your current hardware and software
- Lose track of warranty information for critical hardware components
- Lose out on important software, operating system, and firmware updates
- Lack of visibility on the overall hardware lifecycle and maintenance timelines
Asset Inventory in SAM 6.0
SolarWinds® Server & Application Monitor (SAM) has always been a comprehensive server hardware and application monitoring software. With the new SAM 6.0, you can now proactively monitor and manage your IT assets. Adding IT Asset Inventory Management to SAM means you can now automagically maintain a detailed inventory of your hardware and software.
With the Asset Inventory dashboard, you can look at various information about your IT assets. Major assets include:
- Server Warranty: Track server warranties that have expired and that are going to expire. SAM periodically checks the status of each server warranty against the vendors it supports (HP, IBM, and Dell) on their online warranty validation servers.
- Hardware Inventory: Get reports on your hardware such as hard drives, memory, volumes, removable media, graphics and audio, USB controllers, and other computer peripherals. SAM gives you hardware information such as manufacturer name, publisher, version, and serial numbers.
- Software Inventory: SAM will check all the software installed on your servers, identify the publisher, version, and install date. This lets you clearly see all the software products that are regularly used, as well as those that are rarely used.
- Operating System Updates: SAM monitors the operating system updates and populates the name of the operating system, the type of update applied (whether it is a system or a security update), date the update was installed, and the person who installed it.
To simplify the process, SAM will only collect inventory data once a day. You also have the option to configure the data collection interval weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly depending on your preference. This way, inventory data does not have to be collected with the same level of frequency as availability and performance information. This is beneficial because it minimizes the impact on your polling engine.
Takeaway for IT Pros
- Visualize IT asset inventory for both physical and virtual assets
- Automatically track your assets and view software update cycles
- Facilitate improved inventory lifecycle management
- Respond to key IT questions that help drive your business decisions
- Monitor and manage your IT assets in one place
Explore Asset Inventory Management and other features in SAM 6.0.