IP Address Management (IPAM) Solutions at present, call for management capabilities beyond just IP Address Management.To enhance overall administrative effectiveness, network administrators look forward to consolidated IP, DHCP and DNS Management and Monitoring abilities.
So, taking a step beyond IPAM into the realm of DHCP and DNS of ‘DDI’, let’s examine a few practicalities involved in the monitoring and management of these services in your network.
How are DHCP and DNS important to IPAM?
Domain Name System (DNS) is the way in which domain names are located and translated into IP Addresses. DNS comprises of DNS zones and records that are individual to each DNS service.
These DNS zones and records often need to be updated, created and sometimes removed. While doing so manually,there are cases where these records get corrupted or contain incorrect information. Also, in large networks where multiple admins operate, there are chances that the subsequent tasks of IP Address allocation like updating DNS records may not be done. Worst case scenario is when the admin encounters a Website down or Domain Name not resolving issues and finds the cause to be a wrong IP in the DNS records.
Network admins managing BIND DNS, know the pain of using the command line interface every time they have to update changes to DNS zones and records.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a protocol that allows network administrators to centrally manage and automate the assignment of IP addresses to devices in a network. This eliminates the manual task of assigning IP Addresses and enhances the overall management of the IP administration.
In short, DHCP server takes care of central management and automation of tasks viz. allocation of IP addresses, lending out IPs to transient users and reclaiming addresses that are no longer in use. To set up a DHCP server, the admin carries out tasks of calculating subnets, determining scopes, splitting scopes, allocating IP reservations and so on.
Consolidated IP Address Management Solution
With DNS and DHCP services running in your network, IP address or IP space management can be combined and centralized to increase efficiency in managing these services from a single interface.
Some of the functions present in a consolidated IP Address Management, DHCP/DNS Monitoring and Management solution are:
- Management - Visibility into scope utilization and management, provision to add new scopes and subnets, subnet scan and corresponding updates on the DHCP/DNS server. Add, edit or delete DNS servers, zones and records alongside IP address and DHCP information in the same integrated interface.
- Monitoring - Monitor in real-time the availability and performance of DHCP and DNS services, viz. scope utilization, zone status, etc.
- Manage and monitor in real-time DHCP/DNS services alongside IP space management.
- Stop maintaining multiple management consoles and seamlessly integrate with existing DHCP/DNS environments.
- Easily propagate DHCP/DNS changes to the servers.
- No expensive investments in appliances requiring vendor expertise and costly upkeep.
One place to start looking at is SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM). IPAM provides the flexibility of a user-friendly GUI to easily perform add/edit/delete functions for BIND DNS zones and records, thereby, eliminating the struggles of having to use the CLI. Download a trial version and start managing and monitoring Microsoft DHCP/DNS, BIND DNS, and Cisco DHCP services, including Cisco ASA devices - all from a unified,easy-to-use Web console.