You're using SolarWinds Storage Manager, for storage monitoring and you're getting an error message, ERROR: Could Not Connect to the Agent! Please Make Sure That the Agent is Running. Here are some troubleshooting steps to help resolve this message and continue your holistic storage performance monitoring.
About Storage Manager HTTP and Traps
The Storage Manager Collector service gathers data from the Storage Manager Agent using HTTP and Traps. The Storage Manager Agent sends a Trap to the Server when the data is ready. When the server receives the Trap, it will connect to the Agent using HTTP and submit a GET command to collect the data. By default, the Server receives a Trap from the Agent about once every hour. If communication between the Collector service and the agent is blocked, the data Is not collected. Below is a diagram to help visualize how Storage Manager uses HTTP and Traps:
NOTE: The Storage Manager Collector is also an agent.
NOTE: If the agent originated from Profiler, the service name is Profile Agent.
Checking the HTTP or Traps for issues
- In the Storage Manager web console, navigate to the resource with issues.
- If the Last Collect is updating, the HTTP is OK.
- If the Last Trap is updating, the Traps are OK.
Finding the communication break
- In the Storage Manager web console, navigate to the OS agent resource and click the traffic light.
- If a list of modules and their status is returned, then the HTTP communication from the server to the agent is OK.
- If an error message is returned, be sure the Storage Manager Agent service is started.
Example error message: Could not connect to the agent. Please make sure the agent is running.
- If the Storage Agent service is running, and the error message is returned, then try the following:
- The <Storage Manager Agent Install Directory>\core.xml file contains the correct IP address of the Storage Manager Server.
- No Firewall Access Control List (ACL) is blocking HTTP port 4319
- Telnet from the Storage Manager Server to the agent on port 3419 (telnet 22.214.171.124 4319). This will return a blank page if it can connect.
- Restart the agent.
- If the Last Trap is not updating, verify the following:
- Confirm the Storage Manager Server Trap port in the Main Console > Settings > Server Setup All > Server > SNMP Trap Port.
- Validate that the <Storage Manager Agent Install Directory>\core.xml file contains the correct IP address and Trap port for the Storage Manager Server.
- Check if the Storage Manager Event Receiver service is started.
- Check if the connection between the SNMP Trap port from the Storage Manager Agent to the Storage Manager Server is getting blocked by a firewall.
Let me know if this helps resolve this error message on your storage performance monitoring software. Or let me know what you did to resolve it.