Transitioning portions of IT applications and services into the cloud is something that’s starting to become a part of daily life for IT professionals across government agencies. But it’s still a big departure from the traditional implementations.


Hybrid Cloud Scenarios


There are three general scenarios that will involve cloud-based and on-premises apps and services.


The first is an architected solution that uses components of on-premises data centers as well as cloud service providers. One example is application servers in the cloud while the backend database servers reside on-premises. This type of hybrid approach allows agencies to govern sensitive data in their data centers. Applications, however, need to be highly responsive to the number of potential clients connected through any given methodology, and cloud implementations can provide that type of flexibility and availability.


The second is a redundant implementation where an application is available in both an on-premises data center and in the cloud. This approach is good for disaster recovery and also enhances an agency’s ability to quickly pivot support for remote and mobile users. Data replication is a key consideration in this scenario, but replicating data among several distributed databases is geek chic these days.


The third is about scalability. An agency may have an on-premises application that performs just fine 95% of the time, but that other 5% of the time it finds itself resource constrained due to peak loads or other load bearing factors. The challenge for the agency, though, is that the 5% doesn’t justify the investment in additional on-premises hardware that will actually sit idle the other 95% of the time. Cloud is the ideal solution to this problem, as it allows agencies to rapidly ramp-up resources to accommodate periods of peak demand, and pay for what is actually used during that 5% of the time. The ability to quickly scale on-demand is a key benefit of cloud.


The key to successfully working through any one of these scenarios is in understanding the requirements of each approach and planning ahead, both logistically (IT Operations) and financially (Business Operations), to be able to deliver those requirements.


Key Strategies for Implementation


Regardless of which scenario fits your agency’s needs, you’ll want to partner with a cloud service provider that has achieved their Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) certification.


Scenario one is highly dependent on the data path from client to application server, as well as from application server to data server. The first key objective here is ensuring that dedicated bandwidth exists between the cloud and the on-premises data center.


Scenario two also has a dependency on the data path between the cloud and the on-premises data center. The key here is how much delay in the data replication between the two parallel environments can be tolerated. Important to the success of this implementation will be active monitoring of the data replication activities, and a proven contingency plan for when data replication is disrupted beyond acceptable tolerances.


Scenario three is the most complicated to implement, and engaging with a qualified service provider who has experience in implementing an on-demand, scale-out type of environment is a good idea. The key aspect of this implementation is the transparency of inbound connections being rolled over, or rerouted, from the primary site in the on-premises data center to the supplemental resources in the cloud.


In Conclusion: Plan, Plan, Plan!


Regardless of which of these scenarios you might be contemplating, or possibly even a scenario not discussed here, it’s absolutely critical to have a plan, and involve both technology as well as business stakeholders in the development of that plan. Identify and analyze all contingencies, and define performance and QoS expectations for every aspect of the environment.


Find the full article on Federal Technology Insider.