IT teams face the rigmarole of change management each day for various IT requests. And being part of the IT world, we understand the frustration that goes along with that. Change management involves granular procedures and tons of documentation to satisfy auditors and to track, follow up, and execute requests. In other words, there’s much more administrative paperwork than actual IT execution.
Understanding Change Management
Change management is a common organizational practice that ensures changes to systems or processes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner, in order to avoid creating negative effects of change in the IT workflow.
IT teams employ standardized governance processes to ensure changes made in the IT system—be it giving access permissions, provisioning new assets, or adjusting security configuration—does not affect the compliance and IT security protocols within the organization.
Easier said than done. Implementing change management is painful unless you figure out a smart approach to simplify the process.
As you work out sound change management plans, procedures, and processes per your business needs, keep in mind the importance of approval workflow. When change has to be governed, there must be proper sign-offs and communication between these stakeholders:
- End-users (who requests the change)
- Approvers (who approves the change)
- IT staff (that ensures the outcome of the approval decision is executed accordingly)
Relationships with these parties may look simple at first glance, but, in reality, IT teams face many complexities in establishing good communication with each of them, following up on time-sensitive requests, escalating to the next level of approvals, etc.
Simplifying Change Management
IT teams need a medium to easily facilitate the approval workflow—a tool to simplify manual efforts and time spent executing these tasks.
SolarWinds® Web Help Desk™ offers both simplicity and flexibility to automate the change management process and approval workflow by associating them with service request types. Web Help Desk also notifies end-users that approval is required for their service request, while they are submitting the request.
Approval Means & Options:
- Approving or denying service requests is possible via both the Web Help Desk interface or via email
- A Yes/No approval option directly in the email makes for quick & easy decision-making
Notification & Communication:
- Notify approvers via email regarding new ticket requests
- Notify end-users via email or the Web Help Desk interface that approval was granted or denied
- Approvers can opt to include reasons for denial or approval, for communication to IT teams & the end-user as needed
For Time-Sensitive Requests:
- Set reminders for approvers
- Auto-escalate to next level of approver(s) if current approver is delayed or unavailable
Track Approval History:
- View a detailed record of previous requests & approval paths for audit trail purposes
Voting by Panel & Advisory Boards:
- Dynamically designate approving managers & Change Advisory Boards (CABs) based on the requester’s location, department & type of request submitted for approval
- Web Help Desk then automatically routes the approved service request to IT techs for execution
Change management doesn’t have to be a painful process when requests and approval workflows are simplified and automated with Web Help Desk. Whether your business entails simple one-step sign-off or complex multi-layered approvals, Web Help Desk gives you the means to execute it with simplicity and ease.