Originally, this article was going to called, "WMI Best Practices." After doing a brief search, I stumbled upon Microsoft's version of this topic. (They are, after all, the creators of WMI.) Let's just say the material was...sparse.
I think helping troubleshoot a WMI node would be more beneficial to our community anyway, so let's go with that.
The following conditions must be met before you can proceed troubleshooting WMI nodes:
For IBM and HP enter: \\RemoteServerIpAddress\root
For Dell enter: \\RemoteServerIpAddress\root\cimv2
5. Enter administrator credentials.
6. Click Connect.
7. Once connected, click Query… from the main screen. The Query dialog appears.
8. Enter: select * from __Namespace
Replace Namespace with the following:
9. If the proper Namespace is found, connect to this Namespace.
10. Run a Query for specific information.
Select Manufacturer, Model, SerialNumber from CIM_Chassis