Ensuring data security is vital in business, most especially in any business that stores and transmits credit cardholder data. Any company with access to cardholder information (financial institutions, retailers, credit card companies, etc.) must ensure that they are in compliance with the standards set by the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). If a company is found to be non-compliant, they may face large fines and even have their credit card processing abilities restricted. This is bad news for any company, because no money in equals no money out!
A company must meet six requirements to be compliant:
- Maintain a secure network
- Protect cardholder data
- Maintain a vulnerability management program
- Implement strong access control measures
- Regularly monitor and test networks
- Maintain an information security policy
How Can Log Management Help?
Log data is a record of all the transactions and information that goes through your networks. Companies generate enormous amounts of log data every day. An online merchant can easily generate 500,000 or more logs a day easily. That is a lot of information to keep track of and store.
Use your event log analyzer reports to view or schedule fixed reports for compliance purposes and:
- Produce compliance reports
- View reports based on specific regulatory compliance initiatives
- Provide proof that you are auditing log and event data to auditors
- Schedule formatted reports for LEM Reports to run and export automatically
A good event log monitoring software also ensures PCI compliance by:
- Providing network security coverage
- Delivering prebuilt correlation rules that are specific to PCI compliance
- Capturing a comprehensive picture of system and user events that make it easy to reconstruct a particular event and provide the automated audit trails mandated by PCI-DSS
- Ensuring chain of custody by collecting data directly from the operating system in real time and then immediately encrypting it and storing it in a central database
- Generating PCI compliance reports quickly using out-of-the-box templates
- Storing data well beyond the requirements specified for PCI compliance
SolarWinds Log & Event Manager collects, stores, and normalizes log data from a variety of sources and displays that data in an easy to use desktop or web console for monitoring, searching, and active response. Data is also available for scheduled and ad hoc reporting from both the LEM Console and standalone LEM Reports console.