Welcome to SolarWinds NetFlow v9 Datagram Knowledge Series. This is a 7 part series of blogs to provide the IT professional a basic understanding of how flow technology works, specifically Cisco’s NetFlow v9, what metrics are being captured, and how they are interpreted to help you perform comprehensive network traffic monitoring.
Today's topic is an overview of SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.
SolarWinds NetFlow Analyzer (NTA) monitors network traffic by capturing flow data from network devices, including Cisco® NetFlow v5 or v9, Juniper® J-Flow, IPFIX, sFlow®, and Huawei NetStream™, and identifies which users, applications, and protocols are consuming the most bandwidth and highlights the IP addresses of the top talkers.
SolarWinds NTA is an effective network traffic monitoring software that helps you capture Cisco NetFlow (v5 or v9) data from continuous streams of network traffic passing through NetFlow-enabled network devices and convert the raw metrics of the Export Packet into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how, by whom, and for what purpose the corporate network is being used.
Intelligent and Intuitive Dashboards
You can view key metrics in ‘summary’ or in ‘detail’ in the following categories:
- IP Address Groups
- Types of Service
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
You can also access the data most critical to your network instantly by setting up Cisco NetFlow (v5 or v9) network traffic views.
Alerting and Reporting in SolarWinds NTA
- Set pre-defined thresholds and customize how you want to receive alerts, when and by what condition or threshold
- You can automate scheduling reports and leverage the reports available out of the box for instant use. SolarWinds NTA includes out-of-the-box reports for:
- Top 100 Applications
- Top 100 Conversations
- Top 100 Conversations including applications
- Top 20 Traffic Destinations By Domain
- Top 20 Traffic Sources By Domain
- Top 5 Protocols
- Top 5 Traffic Destinations By IP Address Group
- Top 5 Traffic Sources By IP Address Group
- Top 50 Endpoints
- Top 50 Endpoints by Unique Partners
- Top 50 Receivers
- Top 50 Receivers by Unique Partners
- Top 50 Transmitters
- Top 50 Transmitters by Unique Partners
NTA Dashboard Screenshot:
Part 1 - NetFlow Overview
Part 2 - NetFlow v9 Packet Header
Part 3 - NetFlow v9 Template FlowSet
Part 4 - NetFlow v9 Data FlowSet
Part 5 - NetFlow v9 Options Template
Part 6 - Supported Cisco Models
Learn more about how SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, network traffic monitor, can help you by being your netflow analyzer providing you with network traffic analysis and bandwidth monitoring or see for yourself with SolarWinds live on-line demo, or download a free fully functional 30-day trial.