Reliable, recoverable backups have always been fundamental to a well-run data center. But the technology we use to accomplish that goal keeps reinventing itself. The old systems never quite go completely away, even as newer options come onto the scene. Too often, this results in a complicated mix of tools and media that can be a real headache to manage.
At one point, tape was the only storage medium, and the ubiquitous Iron Mountain® trucks hauled loads of tapes from place to place on a regular schedule. While those trucks haven’t gone away, today, they’re supplemented with disk and cloud storage.
Do you remember the simple days, when physical servers were the only thing needing protection? Traditional backup products were designed for this world, but increasing adoption of server virtualization led to new market leaders, like Veeam, with a virtual-first approach. Then laptops and an array of mobile devices needed protection.
Then came the cloud and SaaS applications. Every vendor sought to update their offerings to cover new use cases, new devices, and new storage options. Complexity multiplied, and prices went up and up.
Where does that leave you today?
In November, we surveyed the THWACK® community on server backup, and learned a lot. We heard from more than 500 of you that backup is too complicated, too time consuming, and too expensive.
Here are the top backup-related pain points our survey respondents listed:
We also learned, not surprisingly, that you’re using a diverse mix of products that represent every era of backup history. The largest section of the pie was “other”.
We believe there’s a better way. We decided to approach the problem with a few guiding principles:
- Simplicity – One backup product for physical and virtual servers, for one price that includes software and storage. No add-ins or options, no hidden costs.
- Ease of use – One web-based console to see all backup status at a glance, and drill down as needed.
- Reliability – Easy to deploy, clean, efficient dashboard. Our customers tell us it “just works.”
- Powerful technology under the hood – Innovative features working in the background to make backups and restores fast and efficient.
The result of this approach is SolarWinds® Backup, a cloud-first backup service designed for IT pros who are tired of spending hours every week managing their backups. While it’s a new offering from SolarWinds, the product has been in use for years among the MSP community, and is already trusted by thousands of organizations. Here’s what a few of them have to say:
- Justin Cremer, IT Professional, Libra IT
- John Treanor, IT Professional, Satellyte Technology
More customer comments and insights can be found on TechValidate®.
To learn more about SolarWinds Backup and begin your free trial, check out the Product Blog post. Find out how simple backups can be.