Social groups... what's the point? Well, a social group allows you to create and invite people to engage in a conversation that is bigger than a discussion and that we at SolarWinds maybe haven't found a space for yet. You can request the creation of a social group by direct messaging either Danielle (DanielleH) or myself (MTorok), but there is a catch.
- You need to stay engaged and monitor your social group.
- You cannot use a social group to dodge the spirit of thwack. This is an IT site designed for and engaged in the IT community. No selling, no advertising, no strangeness (okay, that is open for debate, but no wildly off-topic strangeness)
- Keep the group moving. If there is little to no posting in a group, we'll shutter it. Nobody wants a stagnant pool in their community.
- Social groups allow you to create polls, have targeted discussions that make sense for the group, create documents focused on the concerns of the group, and generally use it as a virtual user group.
Got a project you are looking for ideas about or help with? Why not pose it in a group and see what your colleagues are doing in a similar situation? You might even submit a document with open collaboration for a number of interested parties to work on together. Trying to roll out a new network fabric design? Wonder if anyone else has architected something similar? Why not tap the resources here and see if together you might create something you can use now and others can use now or later?
- Want to talk with other folks about DISA STIG requirements and how to comply? Check out our Federal and Government group.
- Want to talk with your colleagues about build, base image, and rollout of complex high power desktops for a graphic design group in your org? We don't have a space for that right now... but we could get you a group.
- Want to talk about IPv6 complexities... we'll probably ask you to post out in the General Network Management forum. If it gets wildly popular and you start architecting solutions, we'll be happy to get you a group and transfer your discussion, documents, and anything else.
We want you to work together. We want to help where we can. We want you to succeed. Use the platform and get your answers...we will give you the space.
As a touch of incentive, we'll grant up to 100 points to the creator of a social group, 5 points a post, for the first month.
See you on the boards,