This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I configure Cat Tools to connect to Dell SSH?

I am attempting to configure Cat Tools to backup some of our Dell PowerConnect 5548s running-configs over SSH, however I am running into problems when initiating the SSH session. Since the Dell SSH on the appliance is built on top of Telnet, it prompts for a useless field "Login as:" before asking for the local username and password. This first field has no effect on whether or not you can authenticate to the device.

I cannot find a way to put in a carriage return or line-feed command to make the session continue to the "Username: " prompt.

I apologize for my sentence structure on this post.

Cheers,

Stefan

• Hello Stefan,

The latest CatTools version 3.10.0 is added variations feature to Dell.Switch.CLI device type. In that you can configure the Pre-login keys and messages under Pre/Post Login tab of variations as in attachment,

Please have a try and update me.

Thanks,

Nanda

• Hi Nanda.

Thanks for responding. I will schedule an update and get back to you with the results.

Regards,

Stefan    

• Hi Nanda.

I have installed 3.10 and have configured both the switch and CatTools with the correct information. I mirrored the variations to match what you have set up in your attached picture. I have tested the credentials that I setup and I can confirm they are working. I am still encountering errors though when trying CatTools tries to authenticate to the switch.

In the Info Log I can see cat tools initiate the SSH session and accept the key. However when it comes to using the supplied user name and password, the logs says the specified username is invalid for the device. I know that this cannot be correct as I have tested the credentials in an SSH session from the host running cat tools, as well as from other network locations. When I watch the switch console for error messages, I can see the device is rejecting the connection.

Is there a way to view what the SSH session is doing during the connection? It seems that the CatTools isn't recognizing the "login as:" prompt. I have specified the User Name and Password fields in the device settings, so I do not know what is causing the connection to fail.

• Hi Stefan,

Please do the following,

1.Enable capture mode in file menu

2.Run the configured activity

3.Find the folder called 'Debug' in the installed location.

4.Get the file in device name like 'DebugLog-X-<Device Name>' and share it with me (Please disable sensitive info like password as '**********').

5.Let me check it and update you.

6.From the same debug log file you can get the hint on what to do.

Thanks,

Nanda

• ================================================================================

WFDRetVal=0. Waiting for: "login as:"

WFDBuffer="[13][10][13]authorized access only!!! any unauthorized access will be investigated. [13][10][13][13][10][13][13][10][13][10]user name:"

================================================================================

================================================================================

WFMDRetVal=1 Waiting for: "% Login invalid"

WFMDRetVal=2 Waiting for: "% Authentication failed"

WFMDRetVal=3 Waiting for: "User name:"

WFMDRetVal=4 Waiting for: "Password:"

WFMDBuffer=""

WFMDBuffer=""

WFMDBuffer=""

• Hello Stefan,

Can you please,

1.Share manual PuTTY log of commands being executed to take backup.(Should be from first key stroke to connect the device).

2.Share me the debug log of the device by run the activity without the variations. (Just disable the newly added prelogin keys/messages and save).

Also please add as attachment of those file instead of copy paste in the reply box. Attach menu can be found under 'Use advanced editor' option(this can be found on right top of reply box you are typing).

Thanks,

Nanda

• Hi Nanda.

I have set putty to log all of its output. Unfortunately it appears that when CatTools uses the putty client it doesn't log the output to a file. I have attached the debug output that was retrieved when not using any variations, as well as a manual ssh session showing what commands should be run to get a complete backup.

Cheers,

Stefan

attachments.zip
  • Hello Stefan,

Can you please check the password entry for this particular device.

AAA Username and AAA Password should be filled under Password Tabs to connect with Telnet.

Thanks,

Nanda

• Hi Nanda.

It took quite a bit of fiddling with cat tools and the switch to get the variations working. I had to create an MOTD banner for the SSH line and add it into the pre-login text in order for CatTools to correctly recognize and input the username and password fields. Thanks for your help with the troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Stefan

• That's nice to hear that you problem is solved now!

Have a Good Day emoticons_happy.png

Nanda