This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Why is a Package in state "Installation not possible"?

In Patchmanager Console, under Update Services ... view "All Third Party Updates" the Packages (normal and Upgrade) for the actual "Mozilla Firefox 24.4.0 ESR" are shown as in state "Installation not possible".

I tried under Software Publishing - right click on each package, "Download content" and after successful download "Publish Packages" (successfully also) - no change in state.

What can I do now?

• ...under Update Services ... view "All Third Party Updates" the Packages (normal and Upgrade) for the actual "Mozilla Firefox 24.4.0 ESR" are shown as in state "Installation not possible".

This is an indication that the package was published as a Metadata Only package.

• Is this a *NEW* installation of Patch Manager v2.0?

and after successful download "Publish Packages" (successfully also) - no change in state.

• What version of WSUS are you using?
    • Was your WSUS server installed prior to installing Patch Manager?
    • Where is your WSUS installed?

• - The package is that from the SolarWinds Update Catalog.

- The installation of patch manager is not really new but not used in the organization (only for some clients in a test-OU). Version is 2.0.2207.2

- WSUS-Version is 3.2.7600.256

- Yes, WSUS was prior installed due the copied Database and Content of our regular WSUS because we had to copy the approvals of this server.

- WSUS and patchmanager are installed on the same Windows Server 2008 R2, Databases of both on our central database server.

Now I tried re-publish the packages (using the options "delete package if it exists [...]" and "Re-download packages that have already been downloaded" because I thought I had used the german languaged package on first publish. No change.

Other question related to this package:

The "Prerequisite Rules" of the default packages contains "Windows Language Language=English". As far as I know that means the package wouldn't be applicable to any german installation of Windows so I have to copy and edit the packages (and by that configure the download path to the german installer "Index of /pub/firefox/releases/24.4.0esr/win32/de"?

// ... EDIT

Aha! After copy, edit (Prerequisite Rule "Windows Language Language=German" and setting the Installer Language to "English (United States)" like shown in the file details of the installer for the german-languaged Firefox) and republish the new packages, these are shown as "Ready for Installation".

• because I thought I had used the german languaged package on first publish.

Are you saying that you thought you used the German language FIrefox installer instead of the English language installer? If you downloaded using the "Download Content" or "Publish Packages" tool in Patch Manager, this is actually not possible, as Patch Manager will only download the exact binary file that has been associated with the package.

The "Prerequisite Rules" of the default packages contains "Windows Language Language=English". As far as I know that means the package wouldn't be applicable to any german installation of Windows so I have to copy and edit the packages (and by that configure the download path to the german installer "Index of /pub/firefox/releases/24.4.0esr/win32/de"?

This is correct. Only English-language packages and systems are supported in the native catalog content. To use non-English content requires you to duplicate the package, make the appropriate edits, download the non-English installer, and test the results.

Aha! After copy, edit (Prerequisite Rule "Windows Language Language=German" and setting the Installer Language to "English (United States)" like shown in the file details of the installer for the german-languaged Firefox) and republish the new packages, these are shown as "Ready for Installation".

Excellent news. Glad you were able to work it out.