This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Internal hostname lookup functionality

The current nslookup functionality uses external services and cannot see or resolve internal system names.  We are running "ping- a [ip]" commands by hand to get name resolution on internal systems.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi rduvall,

Have you configured your LEM Manager network configuration using a static configuration? It is key to ensure you complete the network configuration and provide at least one DNS server for your local network. You can do this from the command line.

• But how does that address my issue?  The nslookup and whois explorer commands use an external service to do their look ups.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to rduvall

Hi,

I see your point for WhoIS, but NSLookup and Traceroute tools use your configured DNS Server on the LEM Manager. I have validated this on my own installation, by querying several devices on my local domain and domain names external to my organisation and they return the expected results. Can you confirm that you have your LEM manager configured to use the correct DNS servers (i.e. a local DNS server with a forward lookup zone in your network).

Here is a Traceroute to bbc.co.uk

pastedImage_0.png

External NSLookup

pastedImage_1.png

Lookup to a sever on my training LAN

pastedImage_2.png

Traceroute to a server on my Training LAN

pastedImage_4.png

• Is there a way to see the network configuration without changing it? The only thing I can find is the netconfig command, which doesn’t show you the current settings.

• FormerMember

Hi,

Yes there is.

1) Open the Console in Hyper-V/ vSphere client or SSH to the appliance and login to the cmc account (view advanced configuration if from the former)

cmc> appliance

cmc::acm# viewnetconfig

Would you like to view the (b)rief network configuration or (a)dvanced? <B/a> a

Look for:

DNS Server Information:

search xxxx.local

nameserver 192.168.xxx.

Locally Configured Hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain db

192.168.xxx.xxx   lemhostname

Take a note of every setting. If it is not correct, you should take a note of it then re-run the netconfig command and specify the settings (you will need to set everything again).

• Everything is correct.

I still get “agent not found” errors when I attempt an nslookup.

• FormerMember

Hi rduvall,

I think the next logical step would be to raise a case with SW support. Could you confirm what version of LEM you are running? (under CLI - manager > viewsysinfo)

• Go to Manage --> Appliance in the GUI console.  Under the Properties pane, pick "Settings."  Look for the Current Default Agent.

2014-04-09 08_27_55-SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Console.png

Is that a valid hostname or IP?  Is that Agent on-line?  Does that Agent have the right network configuration?  The LEM sends all those Explore commands to the Command Agent, and has the Agent execute them.  This way, the LEM and the web console aren't trying to execute strange network queries, but if the command Agent is off-line/unreachable/isn't allowed to run nslookup or traceroute/doesn't have the right network configuration, then they won't work.