This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds NPM custom website--ideas

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can provide any suggestions and ideas. I am trying to make the NPM website a portal for all our IT related stuff (ie. NPM, url links, documents, etc). So far i have the basics (maps and default views).

how customizable is the website
Ideas on how to leverage the website to make it an "it web portal"
custom maps, diagrams, etc
any ideas/creativity in general would be great.
integration/scripting with other programs.

I think it would be a great idea if we could create a subform to share our creativity, ideas and how we leveraged solarwinds NPM in general.

Thanks.
  • I second that idea!

I would love a "tweak and customization" subforum

Lars Grabowski
    Global Infrastructure
    Chr. Hansen A/S

Currently using:
    Cirrus Version 2.1 DL-500 Feb. 2006 (8.1.42)
    Orion Application Monitor 7.8.94
    Orion Web Engine Version 7.8.133
    Orion NPM SLX 7.8.5 March 2006
    Alert Manager 8.1.15
  • I couldn't agree more.

I've made some custom changes and wouldn't mind sharing them at all.
  • Very easy: as Admin go to Costumize Views, select Create. Click the + sign to add. Under Miscellaneous check User Defined Links for web links or Custom HTML or Text for Text. Just don't get all the way done without 1. Previewing it 2. saving it as a new name... Then you will have to add your new veiw to the menu bar.

John J. Times
  • Absolutely a great idea! Hopefully they will take this request into consideration and setup a place to exchange ideas.
  • Hi all,

I agree wholeheartedly. Since we first purchased Orion, back in the days of version 6, we have been making little tweaks to the software. Right we have the following:

Custom HTML code on the overview page to display several key items from our corporate portal in addition to links to other IT resources.

Custom properties with various macro entries (NodeName, IPAddress, etc..). These allow us to link to configurations grabbed with Kiwi Cat Tools, HTML port maps from SolarWinds toolset, and netflow information from Netflow Analyzer.

We have also built a list of custom resources to provide system uptime information (current) and to deal with some of the limitations in previous versions of Orion (previous to 7.2 - links to RDP, telnet, web, along with nested tree views of devices).

This is a great idea.
  • Isaac,

I'd love to hear how you integrated Netflow, HTML port maps from the toolset and so on.

Is it possible for you to share the code and the elements you are using?

Lars Grabowski
    Global Infrastructure
    Chr. Hansen A/S

Currently using:
    Cirrus Version 2.1 DL-500 Feb. 2006 (8.1.42)
    Orion Application Monitor 7.8.94
    Orion Web Engine Version 7.8.133
    Orion NPM SLX 7.8.5 March 2006
    Alert Manager 8.1.15
  • Here is a custom page I wrote not to long ago. I'm going to be re-coding it soon though.

This is a Dell PowerConnect switch but I'm sure with a little modifications it will work with other vendor's.

Basically this page allows our support staff to turn ports on/off and save the running config to the startup config.

• Mithrilhall, Im curious to know how you created that page. Im interested in doing something very familiar. Let me know, bripage19@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
  • I'll send you an email soon with the code.
  • Mithrilhall,

We too would be interested in the Code behind this feature. We have several needs for this which would help our Support Personnel with serving the customer vice Escalating and keeping the customer on Hold.

In advance, we appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

R. Troy Klein