This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Packge Boot Question

First off, I would like to state that I have watched this video here "Custom Package Creation: PackageBootTm Deep Dive - YouTube" and have read the admin guide Package Boot section.

The need that I have making this custom package is to accomplish three things post-install.  I am working with a Hyland Unity client, not sure if anyone else is familiar with this.

I need to:

Execute cscript.exe with a .vbs that edits the .net machine.config file to fix one line in it.

Execute reg.exe to delete a registry key in HKLM

Execute xcopy.exe a configuration file from the package directory to a program files folder. 

My question is, the value "Run program from package directory" is like the "Working Directory".  Does this modify the path to execute the "Program Name"?  Since cscript is usually in the PATH, do, can I just leave it set at ""Run program from package directory"?

Is it better to put these three commands/calls into a batch file and call that?

• My question is, the value "Run program from package directory" is like the "Working Directory".  Does this modify the path to execute the "Program Name"?  Since cscript is usually in the PATH, do, can I just leave it set at ""Run program from package directory"?

Since all three utilities are in the %SYSTEM% folder, I would recommend calling them using the "Run program from specified directory" option,  and using the %system% environment variable in that declaration. You can then reference the script files using the %modulepath%\script.vbs syntax.

Is it better to put these three commands/calls into a batch file and call that?

That's one way to approach it, but it may also require you to write conditional logic within the script to handle success/error results. Plus you'll still have to handle the external script methodology (VB, PS, etc.)

If you define the execution as as three separate "Run a program" events in PackageBoot, you can leverage the PackageBoot built-in Stop/Skip/Continue processing management.

• Thanks, I did not know how to reference the files that were included with packageboot in the command line arguments section. That should work for me then.  Is it %system% or %systemx86% ?

• They're in %system% on my Win7x64 machine.

I believe that %systemx86% refers to the SysWow64 folder, but it's not fully documented at CSIDL (Windows)

Assuming so, if you needed to force the execution of the 32-bit versions on a 64-bit system, that would be the way to do that.

• Doesn't look like my post-install tasks are running, and the package is taking forever to install.  Is there a way to test the post-install workflow easily or to get a log of what it did/failed at?

• Doesn't look like my post-install tasks are running,

If that is the case, it could be that the installer is returning a non-success code.

and the package is taking forever to install.

Or that the installer requires user-input and is waiting for that to happen.

Is there a way to test the post-install workflow easily or to get a log of what it did/failed at?

Yes. SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How to enable logging for PackageBoot issues

• I think it was a user input in my reg delete command.  I am however, going to try to just make a single post-install exe using iexpress since these three actions are pretty simple.