This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Changing nodes' polling address

I have noticed that in the discovery process, NPM came up with some...creative choices for polling addresses. Many are 10.x.x.0, and others are a non-loopback address. This appears to be causing issues in NCM. On nodes that failed to sent their configs to NCM, when I set the polling address from x.x.x.0 to x.x.x.1, the loopbac addr, NCM worked correctly.

Can I programatically change the addresses from a table directly in the nodes table, or do I have to go in to each node and edit it in the GUI?

• Ping...Any input from the community? I have 667 nodes that do NOT have their loopback addr as their polling addr. This caused the device to alert as down when the polling addr fails. This is false alerting, the node is NOT down, just the interface SW picked (at random?) to poll on. The loopback addr, is down DOES mean the node is down.

Can I change the polling address to the loopback address with a SQL script (5 minutes of coding and 5 seconds of processing, max) and not toast the system emoticons_happy.png,

or do I have to go into the GUI for each of the 667 nodes and manually correct the addresses (10 hours of clicking if I skip lunch and coffee!)? emoticons_sad.png

Here is the select, I can just make this into an update and fire it off:

select N.caption as 'Hostname', Na.IPAddress as 'Loopback Addr', N.IP_Address as 'Polling Addr' from interfaces I

join NodeIPAddresses Na on Na.NodeID=I.NodeID

join nodes N on N.NodeID = na.NodeID

where I.InterfaceName like '%loop%' and I.NodeID = Na.NodeID and I.InterfaceIndex=Na.InterfaceIndex and 'Polling Addr' not like 'Loopback Addr'

• there is another field in the nodes table that contains an encoded version of the IP address.

You may have to resort to a powershell script using the SWIS API to set the ipadress and IPAddressGUID

See Add node (or something) to NCM - NPM for powershell function to convert an ip address to a GUID.

• The GUID for the polling address is the same in the nodeIPAddress (IPAddressN) and Nodes (IPAddressGUID) tables. I could use this to update the polling address:

use SolarWindsOrion

go

update nodes

set IPAddressGUID = Na.IPAddressN, IP_Address = Na.IPAddress

from interfaces I

join NodeIPAddresses Na on Na.NodeID=I.NodeID

join nodes N on N.NodeID = na.NodeID

where I.InterfaceName like '%loop%' and I.NodeID = Na.NodeID and I.InterfaceIndex=Na.InterfaceIndex

and N.IP_Address not like Na.IPAddress