This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Patch Manager console upgrade loses view settings

Why is it that every console upgrade loses all of my view settings?  I've created dozens of custom views throughout the console, and whenever an upgrade is applied (I just applied 2.0.2207), all of them are lost!  What a waste of time!  Is there any way to save the settings and reapply them later?  Thanks.

• This is VERY frustrating! 

It happned to me when I upgraded to 1.85: Custom Views reset after 1.85 Update

Then again when I upgraded to 2.0.2146.0 View Layouts reset after 2.0 upgrade

Then AGAIN when I upgraded to 2.0.2203.0.

I am about to upgrade to 2.0.2207.0.  Wondering if SolarWinds support would like to get involved with my upgrade so they can put some eyes on this problem?  Lawrence Garvin thoughts on this?

Thanks!

-mark

• Greetings Mark.

This was a known issue in previous builds, but was reported as fixed in the v2.0 SR1 build. I cannot explain your observation of behavior with v2.0.2203.0, and we've been unable to reproduce that behavior using v2.0.2203.0.

Likewise the issue should be fully resolved for v2.0.2207.0, and we've not been able to reproduce any behavior with v2.0.2207.0 either.

If your PM server is on a VM, I would suggest the following:

Take a snapshot of the PM server prior to installing the upgrade.

Install the upgrade.

If the issue recurs, capture the upgrade logs and open a support ticket.

It's also worth noting that protecting against this issue is fairly trivial.

Make a backup of the %AppData%\Local\EminentWare\GridLayouts folder prior to installing the upgrade.

If the upgrade impacts the view layouts, restore the backup of the 'GridLayouts' folder.

• Sort order was lost in every view.  Isn't this part of the view settings?

• Sort order was lost in every view.  Isn't this part of the view settings?

It is, and I'm not aware of any means by which part of the view settings could be lost on every view.

The view settings are stored one file per view, and the current installer should not be touching that storage folder at all.

I'll inquire internally to see if anybody has any thoughts on the question.

• FWIW, When I upgraded to 2.0.2207.2 my view settings did NOT change. I have experienced this behavior with previous Patch Manager upgrades.

• When I upgraded to 2.0.2207.2 my view settings did NOT change.

Thank you for the feedback; this is the expected behavior with 2.0.2207.2.