This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Net-SNMP stop responding when monitoring a resource

I'm trying to monitor a number of Linux machines so that we can be alerted when they are close to running out of disk space. I have configured Net-SNMP on the machines and added them into Solarwinds. However, as soon as I add a volume, SNMP stops responding on the Linux machines. If I remove the volume, it responds again.

Anyone have any idea's on what this could be?

I've added a bunch of SUSE Linux 11 boxes that are working well however these are all RedHat. That's really the only difference. I don't know how to check if they are different versions of Net-SNMP.

Any help would be appreciated. emoticons_grin.png

• You'll want to check the version of NET-SNMP installed on your Redhat machines using the following command. It sounds like you've stumbled upon a bug in NET-SNMP that's likely already resolved in the latest version. The latest NET-SNMP RPM packages can be downloaded from here.

rpm -qa | grep SNMP

• Thanks, I ran that command but didn't return anything, just brought me back to a prompt.

I downloaded the newest version of Net-SNMP but not really sure how to install it. Once the tar.gz file was extracted I ran ./configure and it asked a few configuration questions. Then I ran "make" which took about 5 minutes and seemed like it was in a loop as a lot of text scrolled quickly through, then I ran "make install" but still can't tell if it installed correctly since I can't check the version.

• Sorry. The command is case sensitive. So you'll want to run..

rpm -qa | grep snmp

It should output something similar to the following..

[root@lab-redhat6-app ~]# rpm -qa | grep snmp

net-snmp-5.5-12.el6.x86_64

net-snmp-libs-5.5-12.el6.x86_64

To upgrade NET-SNMP on the Redhat machine, it's probably easiest to use yum. It should satisfy any dependencies that also need updating.

yum install net-snmp-utils

• Sorry, I feel like this is getting into more of a Linux problem than Solarwinds.... but what if the 'yum' command isn't found?

I did find that by running "snmpd --version", it told me which version of net-snmp was running.  On the SUSE boxes that are working fine they are running 5.4.2.1, on the RedHat ones that aren't working correctly they are running 5.1.2. So certainly appears to be on the right track if I can ever figure out how to upgrade the net-snmp on Redhat.

• Sounds like you're on an older version of Red Hat. Try the following command instead

# up2date -v -u net-snmp-utils net-snmp

• I get this error when I run that:

https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC foo

There was an SSL error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE', 'certificate verify failed')]

A common cause of this error is the system time being incorrect. Verify that the time on this system is correct.

• At this point I think it's probably best to consult with a local Red Hat Linux expert, as this problem is not SAM specific in nature. At a minimum, consider taking this issue to a Linux specific community. My overarching concern is that any advice that I provide beyond what I already have, may do more harm than good. You will likely need to download the RPM packages yourself directly from the NET-SNMP site and satisfy any dependencies those RPM's have. This is a fair bit harder than double clicking setup.exe, and if done improperly will at the very least break your existing NET-SNMP install. 

• Thanks for your assistance. I had a feeling that's where things were headed.